Electronic Distributor Problem

colaflavour

I have a problem with my electronic distributor on my 4k and need to know what it would cost to have it fixed.

RAA vehicle fault found: the car has power to coil -positive terminal, no switching at coil - negative terminal when cranking.

Any idea of what i will be up for?

Can someone just come and fix it for me cheap??? :(

Members dont see this ad

Hi,

Is your electronic distributor a genuine Bosch or Denso one, (not after market) ?

Does it have the ignitor built into the distibutor proper, or does it only have the reluctor inside the distributor body ?

Does it have two wires between distributor & coil, or is there only one ?

Does it use an external ignitor ?

When you pull the cap off the distributor does it look like this.

post-270-0-41166900-1408423177_thumb.jpg

That's a 5K one, with ignitor & reluctor pick up, all inside the dizzy.

There new aftermarket ones on ebay like this.

post-270-0-17598800-1408426488.jpg

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/toyota-3k-4k-5k-corolla-electronic-distributor-ke10-ke20-ke30-ke55-ke70-ke38-k-/131269208731?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1e90412a9b

Alternatively, if you just want to get the car going & save money, put a standard points dizzy in. Should be able to get one at the wreckers. New points & condensor & you are away.

Cheers Banjo

Edited by Banjo

It looks similar to the one you have in your post. By the two wires do you mean the positive and negative wires. If so yes. What would be the easiest and cheapest way. If I bought a replacement electronic dizzy off ebay would it be easy to install myself? I'm not mechanically minded.

post-3135-0-16883900-1408431856_thumb.jpg

post-3135-0-50316600-1408431889_thumb.jpg

Hi,

Your distributor is definitely one from a 5K engine, with reluctor pick up & ignitor built in.

Not sure if you can buy the spare reluctor & ignitor modules for this distributor. If so, they may be very expensive.

There is always the possiblity that the you could replace the distributor, & it still doesn't work.

My suggestion is that you take the coil & complete distributor to an auto electrican, who can test both units, & tell you exactly which part is faulty.

I'm not even sure if the after market dizzy on ebay has a built in ignitor or not. More likely not ! You can always ask the seller.

My only suggestion is that you take a photo of the distributor without cap, just like you have above, then unbolt the clamp & extract the distibutor. While the distributor is out of the car, ensure the engine doesn't turn over at all. Then, when you get the distributor back, or a relacement one, simply reinsert the dizzy, so the rotor button finishes up in the exact same place. That will ensure you timing stays pretty much the same, and the engine should start straight up, all things else being equal.

If you are not mechainically minded, you might want to read this helpful site suggestions.

http://www.aa1car.com/library/no_spark.htm

Cheers Banjo

Edited by Banjo

I checked with the seller on ebay (JZ Parts) and they confirm that the brand new aftermarket distributor they sell on ebay, at the link below, does have the ignitor built in, exactly as the same as the one you have.

http://www.ebay.com....=item1e90412a9b

Cheers Banjo

Edited by Banjo