New! Corolla Fgr

CorollaNut68

:bash: No it's not new yet but they should make it.

I have suggested it to Toyota a couple of times but I need every Toy head out there to write, e-mail, message...and let's get them to make a First Generation Retro (FGR) Corolla.

Bring back the look, style and SIZE of the original, updated of course with all the latest gizmos (can't get away from that). Kind of in the way GM and Chrysler have done with the Camaro and Challenger 60's-70's look.

The Corolla has become virtually indistinguishable from the Camry, it is nothing but another big 4 door sedan and it's numbers are fading. Ford is going to if they already haven't surpassed it for best selling car in the world.

It came on the scene as a practical, cheap, fun to drive economy car with good gas mileage and quite a bit of zip for it's time. I keep thinking I'm seeing the new one on the road but it turns out to be a Camry instead...I haven't seen a single 2014 on the road yet, people are opting for the Camry instead now since they are so similar in size and price.

Their car lots would be overflowing with all the traded in Fiat 500's, Mini's and Beetles...(and other bigger Corolla's)

I would love to see it with rear wheel drive again but that probably won't happen. However they do have a couple of small chassis vehicles a cool retro body could be fitted to. My mom has a 2014 Yaris Sport Hatchback thingy that is the same overall length but the wheel base is longer and wider so it's not as nimble.

Contact Toyota through any means available, on every site they have and demand they bring Corolla back to it's small car roots.

Build the Corolla FGR!

Any PhotoShoppers want to post some ideas that would be cool too. I'll be working on one.

I also may have posted something similar here before...but so far it's not working cause they aren't building it yet. :)

Edited by CorollaNut68

Members dont see this ad

In 2002 I bought a new base model 3 door Echo hatchback fitted with factory alloy wheels for a hard-bargained price. This has been an excellent car for me. Cheap to buy, inexpensive to run and totally fit for purpose in typical 1up driving.

It's surprisingly roomy, weighs a bit over ~800kg, has a "rorty" 1.3 litre engine that easily keeps up with traffic yet gets 6 litres/100 economy all day long, is chuckable and grippy in the corners - all the things that I've enjoyed from the KE35/55 Corollas that I've owned.

Sometimes Toyota's best cars are their cheapest. I think the early Corolla ethos lives on in these cars. They should just do a 1.8 litre version to revive the 2TG/4AG halo image.

Recent styling also remains an issue!

Edited by Mechanical Sympathy

The Echo and then the Yaris kind of took the Corollas place as their economy versions...but now "economy" is !8 grand. The new Yaris, though smallish, still doesn't have the visibility or the maneuvering capability.

My last girlfriend had an Echo with a stick, lots more fun to drive than the Yaris. I drove my Mom's automatic Yaris "Sport Package" in the snow last year with all the traction control, anti-lock stuff on it. I still managed to have fun but the car didn't like it...it's like it was trying to fight back. If I tell my 68 to do a donut at 40 mph, it doesn't argue with me.

I know a new one wouldn't be as cool but all they have now are copycats.

Nah..screw the rules and just bring out the old blueprints and build brand new KE10's.post-3326-0-55882600-1413270348_thumb.jpg

Edited by CorollaNut68

Well, lets see know.. I'm right in the Baby Boomers, at the front end more, and buying cars for similar-aged friends has shown me..

We can't move as easily as we used to, we can't bend like we used to, we can't turn our heads as easily as we used to and we aren't as strong in getting up and down as we used to be.

So, we don't want cars that are small inside. We don't want low cars or ones where you lie back in a seat. We don't want sloping rear 1/4windows or rear windows with no visibility. That knocks out nearly all the cars with ugly modern styling, which is why I suggested a Skoda Yeti to a friend recently. We don't want long sloping rear windows that make the boot opening too small, and we don't want hatch floors where you have to bend over, lean in and pick something heavy up from a recessed floor.

We don't like electronic gizmos and toys, we don't own smartphones and we can't see or use modern computers/touch-screens in cars. We hate black plastic and small buttons with incomprehensible lables! "User-friendly" and "Intuitive interface" do not apply to people over 60, and they are not into reading 70page manuals that read like a computer user-guide.

The kids have got married and moved out, there is only the two of us, so we don't want big cars. We want roomy, tall, upright cars with good visibility and small motors...

That is the most numerous and most wealthy segment of society that manufacturers will have to sell to in the next decade or two.

...and why I drive a KE70! The Mrs drives an N14 SSS Pulsar, but she's a decade younger!

..oh, just before you rush off with plans to Toyota, imagine how all those Fiat 500 fans felt when their Little Goddess was re-released and they found it was transformed into a fat FWD.

Then again- just in my newsfeed..

"Death of an Auto Analyst," by Adam Jonas, head of global auto research at Morgan Stanley.

Driverless cars and the end of individual ownership are coming faster than anyone thinks, he says. A great disruption is coming, and the message to his industry is clear: adapt or die.

"In the internet of things, the automobile is the ultimate 'thing'. Without embracing the change, we have no future as auto analysts," he writes.

Jonas doesn't say exactly when he expects steering wheels to be a thing of the past, but he compares the coming change to the switch from horse-drawn carriages to automobiles. He also sees a world in which everyone rents a car instead of owning one and more tech companies jump into the auto industry.

Maybe you just call a driverless car on your smartphone, it turns up, takes you to work/shopping, you pay foir it with the phone and it goes off to take someone else somewhere. You could go on a 500km holiday with the family & luggage in a driverless 7-seater then use a little driverless sedan around your destination.

hahahahhah that was good

As there is no iPhone in my pocket, so shall there never be an iCar in my driveway...I'll keep getting myself there in my Toy til they bury me in it.

It's probably more likely that I'll invent time travel. Then I'll just go back and get me a fresh one.

According to Toyota's story they really don't know what happened to the first ever Corolla off the assembly line. That proves that I WILL (did?) go back and get it.

KE10 000-001

Edited by CorollaNut68

• 4 weeks later...

Well as far as room goes, I have more in the front seat than the Yaris, I sat in a new midsize Chevy Malibu the other day...got more room than that too, it felt really cramped. A big boy would not be comfortable in that for long, all squeezed in by consoles. I haven't sat in a Scion iQ yet but I'm pretty sure I can pack more in mine than that...it's not much bigger than one of those Smart cars.

We would just be hoping that Toyota would do a better job than Fiat...

I'm not holding my breath, I'm gathering parts to make Mine new again...

What you are asking for is not possible (A small car with as much room as they had back in the 60's/70's). It would not meet todays safety standards.

Have a look at the crash test of the new

(sold in India)... that is probably the closest new car to what you are asking for.

Old cars are simple but they crash horribly.