Suspension Ideas Ke70

ketowagz

So guys recently I got my hands on another ke of course being such an old car there are things that need attention. First off is the suspension currently running leaking stock shocks and cut springs. And drives like crap especially when going over bumps which I found out when I jacked the car up to do some work is because the spring is cut so much that when no weight is on the car the spring moves freely safe to say it's dangerous and soon want to change. I've sorced full stock ke suspension for cheap but I still want the low. I don't want to opt for coilovers as they would cost as much as I got the car for and I don't want to run illegal choppies so I was wondering if anyone has photos of their car on low kingsprings or pedders etc and how much they cost and any feed back on the ride cheers

Members dont see this ad

Welcome clouds,

How much $$$ you want to spend? and how low do you want to go?

King springs will do the job if you have new shocks. But you can't go low low at the front successfully without going to a shorter stroke shock absorber, which opens up a can of worms on a ke70.

hey dave, i tried to upload a photo when i posted this but my phone wouldn't let me but i'm at the computer now, so car is currently sitting like this which I like the hight of maybe a slight bit lower but no crazy tire tucking. at the moment i don't have any real budget sorted out for how much i want to spend but i'm looking around the 500 dollar max mark for it. as i said it's only just a budget little daily for now i just want it to handle better then it does now

post-12896-0-08767100-1414413593_thumb.jpg

Edited by ketowagz

I have ST Celica front ultra low king springs in the rear of mine. Rated at 4.6kg and sit it at this height on 15" rims.

1450908_1499052697010993_8348696452903911277_n.jpg?oh=716eef125b72961d62bb3dcd1eb43ee5&oe=54EF48B9

You'll need shorter shock all round whatever you do so upgrading the entire front struts would be your best option. Rears are easy.

Apart from 'low' are there other factors you want to look at, like LCAs or sway bars? I don't run mine low, just a coil chopped off the stock springs in the front and a coil & a half in the rear, but more camber at the front and more stiffness in the rear made the handling far better. I still have space between the top of the tyre and the guard.

$500 is easily enough to build a budget set of coilovers. I used Brumby shocks in standard ke70 strut tubes and bought some otomoto sleeves and springs second hand for $150. Total cost was like $300

The cut spring part isn't necessarily the illegal part. I got a car through pit inspection with cut springs (still had dags on them) and short shocks which held them captive and they didn't say anything at all.. It's more how low you go (you need to maintain a certain stroke length to be legal) and keeping them captive..

Otherwise just get an oxy torch onto them to compress them and run mk1 golf gt1 shocks up front