Milling Rocker Posts To Suit Cam Grind

springersrolla

Hey dudes I'm close to getting engine back together and want to know how accurate the "how to build tough k motor" quote is

"You accomplish this by lowering the axis upon which the rockers move, which is supported by the rocker posts.

Toyota had it pretty well setup from factory, so a good rule is to have the rocker posts accurately machined down by the amount of valvelift you have added to the engine. Stock lift is about 0.340", so say you're running 0.400" lift, you need to have the rocker posts machined down about 0.060"."

I'm running approx 500 lift and according to this around 4mm should do the trick??? I am yet to find a decent machinist after my bloke went awol but is this the right starting point for me to ask for?.

Tia

Members dont see this ad

+2

I didn't worry with a lift of 0.4", maybe if I had a wilder cam I'd look at it so you don't get too much downwards angle on the rocker at full open. You do get into areas of low efficiency when the rocker goes further down, but having it touch the cotter or run off the valve stem is far more important.

If you're going to race it then cut the posts and retain the original geometry. I don't think you cut the same amount off as the cam is cut, as you are working on a rocker ratio of 1.5:1. You'd remove a ratio of (base circle cut) X (0.67). That would be the same as the extra lift as the lift all comes from cutting the base circle away on a stock cam. You're cutting off 160thou so you'd machine the rocker pillars 107thou.