Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

rollaclub.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Transistor Coil For 5K Dizzy, Recommendations

Featured Replies

Hi all,

What coils can people recommend to run with the internal igniter 5K electronic dizzy. I have a few options in mind...

A Bosch MEC or HEC transistor type

Mallory HEI

MSD blaster 2

They are all around the same output, 40KV. I have read that the very low primary resistance can be an issue for some igniters, but I'm not sure if the Nippon Denso one is ok or not with .5ish ohm primary resistance?

Edited by megamannz123

Hi Bryn,

I've been using a 5K dizzy with internal ignitor now for several years on a a 4K-U with a high performance ignition coil, I bought on ebay, which has very low impedance. 0.3 ohms I think. I have never had an 'ounce" of trouble from it. Very easy starter.

 

I've always found the 5K dizzy with ignitor extremely reliable.

 

Is the 5K dizzy you have an original Toyota one, or one of the replica aftermarket ones on the net for $ 149.00 ea. ?

 

Cheers Banjo

Edited by Banjo

  • Author

Cheers,

What is the name of the coil you have? Do you know the specs, output voltage? .3 ohms is really low, the MEC723 is 1.1ohms. The dizzy I have is a guide Nippon Denso, just recond and recurved. If I can run a HEC715, .5ohms that is a higher voltage but slower filling coil.

 

http://www.rollaclub.com/board/topic/69409-coils-for-k-motors/

  • Author

Have you been using the 715 with an internal ignitor Denso dizzy?

I've got the mec723 with my 5k dizzy. It works fine.

I'd say aost anything off a 80's-90's toyota with an electronic ignition will work.

If you search on ebay you'll find the Fuemiser CC215 electronic coil suits a very wide range of cars. And it's only about 35$.

  • Author

After lots of reading about coils, outputs, dwell periods etc I ordered a HEC715 $50 from a workshop selling stock.

From what I found when reading, the dizzy will work fine with the .5ohm primary resistance, the out put @ 40KV+ is far greater than the original coil, and sports coil I had fitted also the soak period required for a full charge will still be obtained at up to 7500-8000rpm on a 4 cylinder.

Once fitted I will let you know how it goes.

Cheers!

  • Author

I have had the coil fitted for a week or so now and its a definite improvement over the old one. Starts and runs great, not one miss even flat under load up a hill in 5th. Very happy with the results!

On a side not I had the car Dyno tuned and it put out 64kw/87hp at the wheels. Pretty happy with that as there is a few things to tidy up with the carb linkages and cam timing so if all goes well it should break the 90hp mark.

I still have the big cam and Dellorto's to fit later too, so who knows where it will end up? could be 100hp!

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.