4Age Ke70 Running Cold On Gauge

altezzaclub

-while it obviously isn't under the bonnet. So the 4AGE sensor doesn't suit the KE70 tacho dash resistance, which means the AE71 dashes must be different to KE70s...

I'll solve it over the next week, but I wondered if anyone had come across this. You fit the 4AGE and the temp gauge never goes up to the 1/3 mark. The radiator water is at 80+ degrees acccording to a thermometer.

Members dont see this ad

I have had a 4AGE plus a 4AGZE in my car, the 4AGE ran both a KE70 clock dash and an AE71 tacho dash and the temp gauge worked fine. The AE71 tacho dash has also worked fine with the 4AGZE, backed up by a digital thermo on my thermo fan controller.

EDIT: My digital gauge is on the outlet of the radiator and when its around 85-90 degrees the cluster gauge needle is up to the first line, which I am guessing is the operating temp of 84 degrees?

Edited by B.L.Z.BUB

Remove 4k temperature sender from 4k
old-fashioned large sensor in M16x1.5 thread
and put it on your 4age?
Newer smaller style with 1/8 Gas thread.....

If Blzbub can swap the clusters we should be able to, so we will see if a KE70 & AE71 gauges read the same, we have them both. Maybe its just a gauge cluster problem.

What is your 4age cooling setup? Cause on the ae82 remote thermostat housing I'm fairly sure I just screwed my 4k one in.

Alternatively you could try and find a sender that matches the reaistance and thread size. That "nice products" or tridon have a comprehensive catalogue.

ohh- that is clever! Digital thermometer and controller in one.

Dave, I'll chase it down in the next week when I'm up at the farm. The Tridon catalogue lists the same size for 4K & 4A AE82, but a small diameter for the 4AGE AE92. I think that's the one he has, although the dash and the motor came from the same 4AGE converted KE70, so it should have all worked.

Otherwise we will chase down a resistor that converts what he has to fit the gauge. It is working on about 1/2 the scale and the cold resistance of his sender is 375ohms, while my KE70s are both around 660ohms. I'm wondering if a 300ohm resistor will extend the gauge scale to the usual 1/3 at running temp, 2/3 at hot.

4A external thermostat housings have a spare M16x1.5 threaded port, why not just chuck the 4K temp sensor in there? That seems like the easiest solution to me.

Edit: I did it on mine, see post #322:

http://www.rollaclub.com/board/topic/56218-rians-ke70/page__st__315

Edited by rian

Oh, now THAT might earn you brownie points!

Speaking of driveshafts, we bought an AE71 as a spare rally parts car, and dragged the driveshaft out of it 6months later to fit a T50 on Steve's car. It wasn't actually fitted up in the car, so we hauled it off to Steve's car.

It wouldn't fit! We went mad for half an hour checking all sorts of KE70s and decided that it was NEVER hooked up in the car, it was a K-series d'shaft, and someone in the past had taken the T-series shaft and wired a K one up in its place behind the T-series gearbox....