KE70 SR20

Rollin-Rolla

hey all, I'm Peter

I'm live in adelaide and found you guys while searching for information on my conversion I'm getting underway. i have a KE70 which is in damn good condition and i bought for $200 dollars, the head on it was bung, it was leaking water into a cylinder. i just knocked on ladies door and offered her $200 and took it home. Anyway, i plan on performing the same conversion on my ke70 (putting in a s13 SR20DET). is there any other info people have on it, like engine mounts? do they line up at all, a bit of a stupid question, because I'm fairly sure they don't. i havent bought the sr yet in a month or so ill have it. it also sounds like there is a problem with the SR bell housing, and the electronic speedo. the one thing i came across as disturbing were the price values i was seeing posted. i reckon i could perform my conversion for about $6K no more than 7K with 200rwkW. my idea is to go with s13 sr20 ($2500, loom, computer, gearbox etc. ready for straight conversion) to scrap that crap vvt which is unnecessary (and alot of the price), buy brand new s15 turbo ($1300), get a chip for the s13 computer($200), get larger injectors($300), and run about 14psi, and it should pull of the desired amount of power i want. there will need to be some suspension changes and brake's but that shouldnt be all to difficult. also this will all be performed by me and a friend, we have all the equipment necessary so labour costs are pointless. i just want to know if there is anything you guys may think is wrong with the idea or what could be improved (despite the fact its a nissan motor :P ). anyway i hope i get some useful feedback aswell. i didnt want to create a new thread since this one here is directly related to the same thing. thanks People.

Members dont see this ad

well the thing is I'm scrapping the engineers certificate. i know its not the wisest thing to do but i really don't want to pay $1500 for some tests. and if it does get defected i can always do a vin number change. i know how dodgy it all sounds, but it wont be an everyday car. insurance I'm only gonna get third party. yeh i was thinking front cut, although ill sus my options when i get the cash. cooling system wont be to much to worry, i have a friend who has tonnes of sr spares, all in all it should be a fairly good project. brake upgrade will also be done, but I'm not gonna go for the best but i will upgrade. I'm still in debate about what to do with the brakes as I'm still researching easy but good upgrades for them.

don't forget i live in adelaide so getting an engineers certificate is much harder and more expensive than other states.

Edited by Rollin-Rolla

The speedo is not a problem, an old bluebird manual drive bolts onto the sr gearbox, then u just use the stocko cable.

The mounts line up with the crossmember, as in not too far forward or back, obviously custom mounts are needed.

The sump fits like it was made for a rolla, could not be any better, and this allows you to mount the motor really low (better handling).

Tailshaft should cost a max of $130 to be shortened and balanced.If u supply parts.

The gearbox is a bastard, it is too long for the rola tunnel and serious tunnel mods are required, I was talkin to a guy at powercruise with a KE20 and he actually adapted a celica box with a cut and shut bellhousing, in hindsight this is a better option.

As far as mods approval goes, all up for 6 mods it cost me $280. Theres no excuse not to. Besides, my engineer picked up some things i am glad he did, it is worth it.

have you looked into diffs?

and also, get the motor in and running. then do your mods. its a bitch to get a motor running when you KNOW it was running before it taken and put into this car.

when you add all these mods there are just so many other difficulties to consider...

i havent taken a look into diffs yet, but it wont be expensive to get one here second hand. getting the motor running (assuming there is nothing wrong with it) wont be hard at all. i know one guy and he can wire up an SR20 with his eyes close practically, does it for his job. any fabricating that will need to be performed can be done as well, as my mate has everything you need except a tig welder (so no alloy welding). so seriously there wont be any cash spent on paying someone to do it. I'm preparing myself though for the bastard of a gear box.

The speedo is not a problem, an old bluebird manual drive bolts onto the sr gearbox, then u just use the stocko cable.

yeh i was thinking that myself aswell, but i was wondering because its switches from nissan motor to the toyota speedo, so i was wondering does the stock cable fit with the nissan sender?

Edited by Rollin-Rolla

Since you seem have chosen the bastard of a fit s13 gearbox, i will explain why it is such a bastard. The moving and rewelding of the floor is not the bastard problem,it is the structural brace that runs inside the car that the front of your seats bolt to. The gearstick lands right where this is :P . So in order to maintain the strength of your car you will need to unpick that brace then move the floor, then re-route that brace. Simple yet time consuming. The other reson i wish i went for a celica box is because silvia boxes have alot of cooling problems, so after a couple of big burnouts youre already in need of another :P

With the calibration of your speedo, you may just fluke it. I am running 4:11 and 17s and mine fluked to me perfect. If not , take a scan of your gauge face, move the numbers on paint, then glue it to your old one, :)

i'm not sure if this has been mentoned yet but.....quite some time ago in a 'Fast Fours' magazine there was a feature on a whole heap of different cars that had been converted to the SR20 way...including but not limited to a TA22, KE70, XU1, Datsun 1200...i think the guy who did the conversion on the KE70 was with a company called Smart Engine conversions (0417 780 328 - Brian) ummm i'm pretty sure they're still going and from what i remember to have read in the article, it wasn't that expensive...

best of luck!

Edited by B-B-Benne

MODERATION NOTICE

Ive split this from the topic it was posted in as it was very old (2 years old...). In future please leave the VERY old posts as is and create a new one. For reference the old thread was http://www.rollaclub.com/board/index.php?showtopic=725. All current discussion stemming from that thread should be posted here.