75' Te31 Fuel Odar In Car

ogrolla

This is my first post, so, Hello! I purchased a 75 TE31/2TC. It is in pretty good shape but still need some TLC. Our goal is to build her up a bit, but for now its our daily driver until I finish school. Here is my post:

So I have had this strong smell of fuel in my cab especially after filling up. I inspected my tank and I saw a little seepage from the fuel pump electrical connector on the bracket. See photo. Its not much but it is there.

I have two questions

1. It seems that the whole bracket would need to be replaced to replace that connector. Anyone have experience with this, is this true. (My tank was full so I did not remove it to see that back side yet)

2. Could this little gas cause this much odor?

IMG_1271_zps4d9m61k8.jpg

IMG_1272_zpsb4xgdcft.jpg

Members dont see this ad

Well it's possible. It doesn't take very much fuel to stink out the cabin. But I would expect more obvious signs of evaporation than what is apparent in the photos Realistically you're not going to really get an idea without removing the entire sender unit. Petrol seepage is really only obvious when it's wet, so invert the sender and pool some fuel on top. Possibly you could use some fuel resistant epoxy if it is that spot.

It's apparent that sender has already been out of the tank at some stage, so perhaps someone's already had a go at it. The phillips head screws are a little chewed, and the clamps have been upgraded.

There is a rubber sealing ring under the sender unit, but if that was leaking, I would expect more obvious signs. If the rubber hoses aren't new, I would replace then as a matter of course (edit: with the right size, are those a little loose?). With this style of tank, seepage from a seam or pinched area is unlikely.

And don't rule out checking the fuel tank breather, fuel inlet to tank and the engine bay area as well.

Edited by parrot

Its good that you put up a photo of where the sender is located & as its half way down the side of the tank I would doubt its the issue as the smell would be bad most of the time & there would be some bad stains below the sender unit & in the photo you can see some sort of stains coming down from above, so I would be looking at where the filler neck comes into the tank for the fault & inspect on top of the tank too

Edited by lexsmaz

Thank you for the responses

I like the idea of the fuel rated eopoxy, assuming it ends up being just the connector, finding that bracket is becoming a little difficult and seems like it will not be cheap either.

I beleive the stains on the top of the tank are water staings from a leak I I have in my rear weatherstipping. (Another part I am trying to find which is difficult) In the mean time and left my rear seat un bolted so I can view the tank easily and frequently over the next week or so to isolate the issue.

They fuel pump was recently replaced so that is why it looks like recently messed with. Good eye!

Edited by ogrolla

No fuel pump in there. Itll be attached to your engine!

One drip of petrok will have the whole cabin smelling of petrol. Nasty stuff.

Like the others have said wait till you are low/empty of petrol and pull that cover off. There is a gasket under the rim which has probably seen better days, try and buy a new one rather than using epoxy, for when you want to take it appart again. And yeah some epoxy around that connector thingo for the fuel gauge will stop it leaking there

So I am in the process of letting some jb weld dry on the fuel connector. I also did confirm the fuel pump is in the tank. Will fill her up later today and hope for the best. Thanks again and will post results!