Swapping 4Age From Gts Into Gts

sherg86

Hello

Long story short. My 87 GTS Coupe is falling apart, the chassis is slowly deteriorating and unable to be restored, I found an 86 coupe GTS chassis, and will swap everything over. I've done relatively big jobs on my own before and feel as though i can tackle this. My motor is rebuilt with about 12,000 miles on it, new clutch/flywheel, rebuilt rear end (4.778 R&P, 2 way lsd, diff rebuild kit, axle bearings & seals, driveshaft center support bearing) I need to obviously swap everything over, and it should be relatively easy being as that i'm swapping it into a GTS. I know i should keep track of EVERY nut&bolt, label them and put em into plastic baggies. I have an ample amount of space, a wide assortment of ratchets, i have torque wrenches, line wrenches, box end wrenches, penetrating oil, hot pockets, beer and a couple friends. What i want to know is;

Are there any write ups on this? a guide?

What should i look out for?

From your experience, is there any advice or tip you got for me?

Side note, I know the chassis that i'm gonna acquire has a sc400 front cross member, as the owner was gonna go 1 UZ, how do i go about swapping mine back onto it? is it just bolts? welding? etc;

Please help me out people! Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Paul

Members dont see this ad

Tackle it one system at a time & take lots of photos!

The cross-member just bolts on, as you will find. I'd take the motor/box out and clean it up, check everything like electrical connections and leaks, then put it aside. Strip the donor suspension & cross-member and clean and paint it all. Get it all ready before you strip the new car so its the minimum length of time between undoing one motor and bolting up the other.

Then pull it out of the new car, cleaning the engine bay when the motor is out. Pop the good stuff in and bolt it up.

The back end is dead easy. Its all just simple spanner work actually.