Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

rollaclub.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Ke30 7K Engine Conversion

Featured Replies

Help needed please.

 

I recently purchased my mates 77 ke30 as I seen it as a bargain, however now the problems have begun.

So at the moment the car has a 7k 1.8ltr motor out of a Toyota townace, so I have been told. It has a 5speed in it not sure at this point what 5 speed though, possibly the one out of the townace itself?

Brakes are original. Motor has had abit of work done to it, twin webber carbs, I'm thinking possible head work, extractors and which looks like 2inch or 2.25inch exhaust system.

So basically my problem is my mate bought it with rego and has since let It run out of rego and it now needs a blueslip, problem is I'm unsure if it needs an engineers cert or not as I do not have one. I am aware that the general rule of thumb is no to exceed 20% greater than the original motor, however I called an engineer today and he said that the 20% applies to whatever the biggest engine was that was released in that chassis. I'm under the impression that a couple of later k series models used that same chassis up until 1981 an that one of them had a 1.6ltr motor so basically just wondering if that is the case and will I be able to get it blueslipped or is it definitely in need of an engineers cert. Also the Toyota compliance plate says 3k-c, the rego papers say 4k and the engine block clearly says 7k lol wtf..

 

Any advice or help anyone could offer would be awesome as the car is great fun to drive and I just want to get it on the road again.

post-23264-0-46377000-1437998082_thumb.jpg

post-23264-0-83418100-1437998364_thumb.jpg

Edited by rock177

Pretty simple really. When new, your car had a 3K installed. At some stage someone replaced it with a 4K and had an engine number change done. Then your mate put a 7K in it which hasn't been notified to your registration authority.

 

KE3x's only ever had 3K's fitted in Australia, whereas the KE5x had a 4K. You MAY have some difficulty arguing the KE3x & KE5x chassis are the same at reg authority level.

 

Not sure why everyone is so terrified of going to an engineer. Your car will be safer and legal.

 

Your best bet is to have a good look at what the actual rules are, should be fully documented on the reg website. If you are unsure, ring up the engineering branch and ask.

I think the TE models had the 2TC 1.6L so if its for engineering purposes it may be fine but if its for country compliance it may not,

the biggest capacity for later KE3x model as the updated KE5x model seems to be the 1.3L 4k. The TE models may have also have had uprated

brakes and suspension to suit the bigger motor. Thats all I can think of now but check the NCOP for engineered engine conversions as opposed

to straight engine swaps, just do it under an engine conversion.

Edited by styler

Indeed with an straight engine swap, but as an engine conversion I'm sure it would be fine for engineering as long

as brakes and suspension match those models. Check with engineer as you suggest.

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.