Need Help With My 3Kh

Seeno

Hey everyone I'm new to club and the whole ke corolla seen but ive just got a 1975 ke30 rolla with a 3k-h motor and i need help finding out whats wrong with the motor. The motor has a exhaust leak at the manifold, on idle it only runs on 3 cylinders (2nd from the front not firing) but when it's reving more it's firing on all 4. i have checked the spark and there is spark coming from the spark plugs but to me it doesnt look like much. Does anyone have any ideas what it could be ? Any help would be greatly appreciated

Members dont see this ad

The revs often mask the problem, such as a head gasket blown.

Do a compression test to make sure the valves are OK in #2 cyl. Look for traces of oil in the radiator, water under the oil filler cap, and difficulty starting in the morning but OK after that to get an idea on the head gasket. Another way is to fill the radiator to overflowing one morning before starting it, then fire it up and leave it idling until the water in the rad gets warm. If it overflows with bubbles coming out before the thermostat opens then the head gasket is leaking.

Swap plugs and see if the missfire follows the #2 plug. Then swap two leads for the same test in case its a lead. Check the dizzy cap inside and out for black dirt lines around the #2 socket, it may have a crack.

Take off the manifolds, clean up the manifold faces and the head, and make sure all the nuts and studs have clean threads and go right to the end of the threads. Then fit a one-piece gasket, not from Toyota..

This one-

http://www.rollaclub...-makes-them-4k/

Edited by altezzaclub

i've swapped the plugs and leads around the miss doesnt move from #2. I've also checked for oil in water and milky oil cap they are all good. no bubbling from the radiator either. the dizzy looks ok but it is hard to start in the morning but i live in tasmania so its pretty much frozen untill lunch time. ill check the compression soon ive also got a exhaust gasket ( 1 piece not toyota ) but if it might be a head gasket i might do it all at the same time. thanks for the advise mate

turns out i do have a stuffed exhaust valve.

Easy enough. Just have a think about what you want to do with the motor over the next couple of years. If the bottom end is strong then just whip the head off and either have an engineering shop cut the valves and seats or grind them yourself.

You can also open the ports up and have the head skimmed for more compression... which leads onto extractors, sports exhaust, round cam, Weber carb... The stuff I did on the girls KE70. How fast do you want to go and how much to spend?

For the price of a couple of gaskets and a new valve you could do it yourself dead cheap without adding any improvements..

I've just wrecked my old 55. About to go on the market is... Camtech 609 lump stick, comes with free 4k (which has a 3k head on it). Extractors with a full 2" exhaust, 32/32 Webber, 30/55 5 speed and more. Located in Hobart. Pm your number if you're interested in anything.