Maxi

TOMsGPTurbo

Members dont see this ad

Think i found out why car isnt starting .. fuel pump isnt priming the lines or fuel is extremely bad.. or both.

Fuel colour is yellowish

Hey Tom, long time no see, did you put that fuel in as there are a few fuel brands which have yellow fuel (ie matilda), if it smells varnishy then it is no good.

Hey Trev, I was starting to get a bit worried you bought a Datsun! Good to see you back mate.

I did some research and found via the Fuel regulation of Australia that fuel dyes are added to petrol so visual identification can be done of seperate fuel, yellow fuel is PULP.

I'm going to pump out all the fuel out of the tank and refill it with new petrol and change the fuel filter.

EDIT - Thought I'll share this with my FWD friends - http://youtu.be/eEi3PLeEARs - this is what I use for inspiration when building my car.

Edited by TOMsGPTurbo

Looks good!

But, you should invest in a heavier gear knob. Mines a 440g skunk2 item and everyone who tries it out trips out by how smooth and direct it feels compared to stock or not having one on there.

People love touching my knob. :lol:

Edited by Subaru_kid

Update, I put nearly half a tank of pulp in still no difference! I use to like puzzels...

So, fuel pump works, new fuel, new fuel filter, injectors work, thermostat sensor hooked up, intake manifold cleaned out, earth cable checked, ..... am I missing anything?

Quick recap

All of the below has been done by me, Justin and Trev and still no luck on getting the car to fire off the key.

Swapped fuel tank & pump - confirmed in working order - Medicine_Man & me

New Fuel filter - Z200 - me via Trev

Checked wiring - Medicine_Man

Half a tank of new PULP 98ron - me

Injectors tapped clean - Trev

New injector o-rings - Trev

Fuel rail swapped - Trev

Coolant housing swapped - me

Coolant temp sensor swapped - me

Coolant temp sensor re-wired - me

Intake throttle body cleaned out with Subaru engine top-end cleaner - me

Timing adjusted to a normal level - me

Checked that earth cable is fine - me & Medicine_Man

New battery - me

Different spark plugs - me

Checked injectors are getting power - Medicine_Man

Coil swapped - me (checked by Medicine_Man)

Distributor checked - Medicine_Man

Checked power to fuel pump - Medicine_Man and then me again lately

Have I missed anything? any other ideas?

The only thing I can think of is that fuel lines arn't priming for some unknown reason - checked that fuel filter is passing fuel, which it is!

Fuel preassure too low?

Vaccum leak somewhere on throttle body?

The only times the car really worked was when two of Rollaclub's finiest, Trev & Justin have managed to get the car going.

EDIT - Just swapped ECU's, no difference

I think it might be a sensor or something small, when I turn the car on the temp gauge is telling me the car's temperature is perfect, but the car is actually cold, so what ever is telling the car it's hot, it's not, so what ever the car does when it's cold isn't happening; does that make sense?

EDIT - Going to pull out the thermo switch and give it a clean - this seems to have worked for other 4e's with this issue.

Whilst I'm at it, I'm going to swap the plugs over too ... just for the hell of it.

Edited by TOMsGPTurbo

I changed the spark plugs over and it didn't help, so then I changed the little plastic door pocket things, that didn't help with getting the car started but it helped in knowning I did something on the list of many things to do that I've been wanting to do.

Going to rewire all the sensors on the thermo housing.

Edited by TOMsGPTurbo

I cleaned all the sensors and re-wired them, car nearly started straight away, so I thought I was right track, I pulled the complete thermo housing off and checked the coolant line that runs to the throttle body (auto-choke) and it was completely clogged up - I couldn't push out the crap in there, so currently it's sitting in a bucket with CLR.

Anyone known a good way to descale / rust an engine from the inside?

Here is a pic of the clean throttle intake.

post-5-0-97488300-1335183383_thumb.jpg