Noisy Transmission Sr20 Ke55

Hey fellas, i have finally got my ke55sr near complete but running. I took it for a drive and drives well but there is a constant whirring sound when i am idling with the clutch disengaged. I have removed the clutch rod from the pedal and noise is still there. When i depress the pedal the noise goes away. Not sure whether the thrust bearing is still touching the fingers or if it could be the gearbox input bearing. Anybody else had this issue?? Cheers

Members dont see this ad

yeah mate, new thrust bearing was installed when i installed the clutch. I'm having to put my clutch pedal on a huge up angle to get full release off the master cylinder .It shifts fine and doesn't slip but that noise is a tad annoying. Could it also be the angle of the whole trans/engine setup not letting oil up to the front of the box??

It does sound like the bearing might be dragging on the clutch like you said, can you remove the boot in the side of the box and have a look, maybe one of those supercheap mirrors needed. sounds like you may have to shorten the rod under the dash, or the one on the gearbox to get your clutch in a better spot. Unless the box is on a really bad angle it shouldnt be the oil, if you are unsure an extra half a litre wont do any harm at all.

The input bearings on the box are brand new japanese bearings, as well as the output bearings, so that would be very unlikely.

I'm going to unbolt the slave from the box and just see if the noise goes away. if it does ill have to try and adjust the rod length. I did run the box dry for a little while when i was testing the engine with no tailshaft. do you reckon that could have cooked the bearings??

It is pretty unlikely i think, and usually wouldn't be an issue at all.

but it may be a possibility if i completely cleaned and degreased the gearbox when i had it apart, so the gearbox is completely dry of oil. i honestly can't remember for sure if that was the case, even then you would probably have to run for more than just a few quick starts.

Just push the clutch slave arm into the cylinder by hand. If it doesn't go in then its not set up corectly I reckon, as it shouldn't have the thrust pushed against the pressure plate.

If that doesn't stop the noise then g'box input bearings are likely the cause. I wonder what a flogged pilot bearing sounds like, the little bearing the nose of the g'box rides in..

I'm having to put my clutch pedal on a huge up angle to get full release off the master cylinder

Where abouts does the clutch pick up?? Bottom of pedal travel? Middle? top??

Is that "up angle" starting high up, or ending high up?

Is the pedal to m'cyl rod too long, or the m'cyl too small in diam?