Banjo

K Series Head Identification Help Needed

8 posts in this topic

Anyone know what engine, a K series head with ID number 39 (in casting between spark plugs 3 & 4), was fitted to ? No 39 is not listed in the Wiki. It is currently fitted to a 4K engine, I was looking at this afternoon, which has a few issues, one of which appears to be very high compression (about 180 - 190 PSI per cylinder). I'm suspecting it might be a 3K head on a 4K block. The engine runs on badly & is "dieseling". The engine is also fitted with a 3K dizzy. It has what looks like a carby without a fuel cut-off solenoid, so I suspect it might also be off a 3K.

Don't know the history of the engine mods, so it's a bit hard to make a call, without stripping it down & working through all of it.

Thanks !

Cheers Banjo

Edited by Banjo

Members dont see this ad

I had a 3k with that head casting, i found a thread somewhere indicating that it was from a 3kh which means high compression, but it think this only apply's to the block. I hope this helps. Also does it have a Welch plug at the back it could be an early Big port.

I hope this helps

i have a 75 ke30 with a 3k-h motor all matching numbers and the number i have stamped in the spot you said is 19 not 39 not sure if this helps but thought i post it up anyways

Thanks Sean ! All helps. I note that 3K head ID no 19, does appear in the Wiki, but not 39. It definitely is 39; it is not a "typo". We might have to whip the head off & take a look see.

Cheers Banjo

Well????

What happened with the mysterious head #39????

This is as bad as Game of Thrones...start reading a story line...get interested in it....and it just stops!

Plus...this made me look at mine #24010-200, and according to the wiki it's a 3K big port "without" water jackets. What does that mean? It DOES have water circulating through it.

Edited by CorollaNut68

Water outlet in the manifold mounting face for water cooled inlet manifold.

Never did get a chance to get the head off this car & CC it, as the Rollaclub member young lady who owns this "moded" 4K in a KE20, uses the car as a daily drive to work, and can't really afford to have it off the road.

She has advised that she has recently had a weber & electronic dizzy fitted. She is bringing it around soon, so I'll get to see what the result was. Sometimes, a too high compression ratio, can work against you, and you don't get the result you expect. I expect that is what happened in this case.

Cheers Banjo

Edited by Banjo

Sometimes, a too high compression ratio, can work against you, and you don't get the result you expect.

Cheers Banjo

Yes, yes it does!