Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

rollaclub.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

The Princess's Rolla

Featured Replies

Hey Guys

Well I thought I was finally in the clear with the idle issues we were having with the my daughters KE55 when I say we I mean me as it appears to be all my fault. She hasnt been driving it for a while so when she did take it out for a spin it stalled when she came to a complete stop. Then it would do its usual trick of hesitating on take off. So I did the usual checked all the vacuum hoses, pulled the top off the carby and checked it all inside all appeared ok, went through the ignition bits plugs points timing the whole 9 yards, put it back together and it ran like a dream... for a little while anyway. Now it has developed an annoying habit of chugging a bit when you back off the accelerator and give it some to winde back up a classic example of this is when you go around a roundabout take your foot off the gas on entry give it some to exit and it hesitates it catches up and away you go. It doesnt faze me but the princess is less than impressed. So any ideas on a remedy would be gratefully appreciated. She starts a new job in a week so I'm under the gun ....again.  

Perhaps a silly question, but have you had a look at the "engine" fuse very closely? Could be blown :(

Definatly not a flat spot in the carby? Wouldn't be a sticky advance/retard plate in the dizzy?

Sounds like a carby problem.  How long ago was the carby stripped, cleaned & reassembled ?  With the air cleaner off, can you see a squirt of petrol into the venturi, when you open the butterfly quickly by hand ?  Common for the accelerator plunger to wear out, or the passages feeding it inside the carby, blocking up.

Cheers Banjo 

My car had the exact problem for about 3 months, turned out to be a couple of things, the plunger crumbled when I touched it, so I rebuilt the carby. That helped alot, then I finally looked and the fuel solonoid wasn't getting power. The fuse had a TINY crack in it, replaced it. Sure enough she started right up. Tuned it, and fixed the timing. now running like it's EFI ;) so +1 for a carb rebuild. They're really easy to do yourself. Also, check the solonoid by checking if it "clicks" like a relay when you pull and plug the power back in to it.

Cheers!

Apart from what the guys are suggesting, have you checked that the intake manifold gasket is not sucking in unmetred air? Sounds like a lean flatspot.

May test by squiriting water over it and seeing if the idle changes.

I have a spare stock carby you can have for minimal cost plus postage if that helps?

  • Author

I fully stripped and rebuilt the carby with a complete kit mid last year. With the air cleaner off I can see a constant dribble of fuel at idle and if I give it a rev the fuel squirts in a steady stream. When I had the top off of the carby the other day the fuel bowl was clean so it doesnt appear that the fuel is contaminated. I only use fuel without ethanol in it so as to not gum up the fuel system. Using a timing light I can see the timing advance when revved so I discounted that as an issue however in saying that at idle the timing point did drift a little probably 2 degrees from 8 to 10 but just slowly up and back. 

5 hours ago, Big G said:

With the air cleaner off I can see a constant dribble of fuel at idle and if I give it a rev the fuel squirts in a steady stream

This sounds like a concern. Should be a mist if fuel

  • Author

Well you are never going to believe this I took the rolla out for a quick run to the Happiest Place On Earth yesterday arvo with the Princess at the wheel and it ran like a dream no stalling no sluggish behavior. Its a MIRACLE. What ever the issue was it seems to have resolved itself. Thats great I hear you all say. You might think so but as I havent identified the problem and actually fixed it there is a possibility that it might rear its ugly head again in the most inappropriate time. So until it does I live in fear. Thanks again for your suggestions. Until next time KEEP THEM ROLLAS ROLLIN !!! 

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.