RA 40 Brakes

corollaart

Members dont see this ad

Hi Rob,

I've got RA65 struts on my KE30.  They are very similar to the RA40.  I'd have to look it up, but I think there might be a small difference in KPI (King Pin Inclination).

I scoured the wreckers & found Cresida rotors & calipers fitted the RA65 with very minimal mods required, to get them to attach & centre around the vented disk. The most important path not to travel down, is make sure that the mounting centres for the caliper mounts, match those on the strut.  Toyota used 2 off mount dimensions.  90mm & 100mm.  Some guys have made adaptors from one to the other, but you are better finding a caliper mount, exactly the same as that on your RA40 strut.

My setup works really well, & I've been driving it for years without any issues.  Only problem I experienced was the little KE30 original master cylinder dia. was too small to push the larger volume of brake fluid into the big Cresida calipers.  I finished up replacing the MC with a Pajero one, which was the easiest mod, you could imagine.

I think I documented on here in a post, so I'll look it up, & see what I noted.

Cheers Banjo

Thanks Banjo 

I all ready have pajero m/c and rear discs ,running xt130 struts and twin spot sumitomo calipers..

The oem ra40 backing plates have a huge spaceing on caliper mounts.

From reseach the ra40 and xt130 run same bearings ,need to find out about front hubs are the same off set.

I remember reading that the hub s where different off sets not sure on this.

If the hubs are the same i will look at ra65/60 disc and may be look at hilux calipers with custom mount not to sure.

Unless some one has a better combo.

Not interested in the mazda calipers to expensive and to old,looking for common and easy to find parts.

Remembering it has to fit under 14in wheels.

Not to much to ask haha!!!

rob

Ha !   It has to fit inside a 14" wheel.  That was my requirement also, & my combo worked perfectly.  Not much clearance though.  I remember the first time I had the wheels balanced, they stuck the weights on the inside of the rim, on the flat ... you guessed it, where the caliper was closest. Crunch, & they had to do it again.

Off memory, the XT130 mounts were 90mm, & the RA65s were 100mm.

I'll see if I can find my olde posts.

Here is one of them, back in 2012.

https://www.rollaclub.com/board/topic/63524-ke-3055-brake-upgrade/

Cheers Banjo

Edited by Banjo
  • Upvote 1

hmmm... going tarmac rallying Rob??

I can't see that your current system has anything wrong with it for gravel, its not that you can put much braking power through the gravel.

We use RA40 struts & brakes, they lock up time and time again on gravel. We have the Sumitomo 4-pots but Steve reckons the caliper itself is too heavy.

I like my Diahatsu ventilated disc with a swinging caliper, light, simple, and works fine, even on stock 13" rims. If we get problems with the RA40 brakes I'll try the same, some light ventilated system.

RA65 strut length is wrong, I can't remember about the camber of the stub axle, Steve will know.

Tarmac that black sticky stuff ,no Keith .

I was given some ra40 struts with commodore tubes and  bilsteins gravel spec.

Just after i bought some new bilsteins of course .

So now i have 2 sets .

I couldnt get the bilsteins in the xt tubes that meant i would have to retube them.

Then these come up buggar!!I still can't figure out how you guys get them in ra40 tubes seeing the xt tubes are the same!!

The gland nut is another problem different thread ,it was just easier to retube than to force them.So now i have to go with the ra40 legs or xt130 legs (my preference}

As i have many xt130 legs 3or 4 pair.

rob

For RA40s, that Bilstein outside tube just needs a light file, an absolutely smallest possible skim with a lathe to take the paint off. Mind you, I wonder how accurate their tube diameter is, maybe it depends on the particular strut off the production line.

The gland nut they do make specially for this job.

How much are the XT tubes too small by? I don't think we even sent the struts off for the second set of Bilsteins, I can ask Steve..

Yeah, the tube is pressed lightly onto the end washer, which is screwed on the end of the inner shaft.  The tube is clamped into the strut top & bottom,  so it can't pop off.

I'm heading up in a couple of hours, be at the Woolshed until the 18th or so. Catch up if you're coming down that way.

Edited by altezzaclub