KE20 TE21 1974 Toyota Corolla 1588cc Blowing fuses

foodrap

Members dont see this ad

OK, here's a better diagram, off the KE17 but it looks the same. Mainly, you can read wire colours off it, which generally on the web you can't.

696527797_KE17wiringdiagram.jpg.032613396483632614d15f52aafb2e49.jpg

Take the wires off the alty and tape each wire up separately so they can't short out.

Alty.jpeg.43cede2829cc1dcbf7c90cc0f0a0d4b7.jpeg

Check the wire colours on the regulator & unplug that.  See if the fuse blows with those two things disconnected.

reg.jpeg.b49961160e058b325983f374616f1e26.jpeg

Pull the insulation back on these & see the wire colours.

27372200_straywires.jpeg.4143c2a8269f80f9e3e84208d54600f4.jpeg

I don't know what this box is for.  Any ideas anyone?

1435826131_coilrelay.jpeg.5878b4a59a0a6868844750fa5b976b88.jpeg

I am guessing that metal box on the coil is a housing for the ballast resistor. The second pic of the coil shows the cables coming out of the box and onto the terminals of the coil. The only problem with that idea is there no ballast resistor on the wiring diagram?

• 1 month later...

So the cars been back on the road and running smoothly thanks to God. Mechanic called in his Dominican buddy who took a day on it and went back to DR before I got a chance to ask him what it was.  We spoke on the phone for a second and he s said it was wired wrong. Couldn’t say much more in the few minutes we spoke. So thankfully with all your guys help and then diagrans I printed out and left for  him I think it made a world of difference.  Thanks a bunch. 

Hi Christopher,

Glad it all worked out OK in the end !

We spoke on the phone for a second and he s said it was wired wrong.

Would be nice to find out what was the wiring error.  If you ever talk to your DR mate again, please find out, what it exactly was,  & let us know here.

Thanks a bunch. 

You're welcome !   We all here like a happy ending, & another Rolla keeps on rollin !

Cheers Banjo

What's it look like?? A long straight one like Banjo's post??  8 or 10 fuses??

I can have a look at the wrecker, but they are only KE35 & KE55.  They've gone to 2-rows wide by then I think.

Another chance may be at Woolshed Rallying on the old Coronas lying around, I'll be up there next week for a look if you can tell me what shape I'm looking for .

• 6 months later...

Hey fellas sorry to intrude.

First of all, let me say that I'm happy that this is still a live forum and we haven't all abandoned such forums for FB.

I'm the US and have a TE21 w/ a 1.8 3TC.

While y'all are on topic of guessing what certain electrical boxes do - can anybody tell me what this thing at the base of my fuse block is? It started buzzing recently - no doubt due to a short I created by daring to *touch* a bundle of wiring - and I unplugged it.

Everything still seems to work, including starter, flashers, wiper, and all lights....

Screen Shot 2019-03-25 at 4.08.25 AM.png