Changing Backing Plate On Borg-warner Diff...

Dyzza

hey guys

well my diff plug on my borg-warner (from ke55) must be cross-threaded coz it freespins when you try and undo it to top up the diff oil ...

i guess my only option is the change the backing plate over to one where the diff plug isn't cross threaded ... is there any nacks with a corolla diff in changing this plate over? I just don't wanna start it and drain what oil is left in the diff, and find something out afterwards and not have the car on the road ...

its dropped a bit of oil out of the diff, and i wanna top it up ASAP but can't ... grr

Thanks for you help, dyzza

Members dont see this ad

don't bother buying a gasket for it. make one out of a cornflakes box, or any other cereal etc box you may have laying around at home!!!

they work really well, and mine hasn't dropped a drip of oil. only thing you need to remember is just give the shiny printed side a bit of sand to roughen it up a bit and you're all good to go.

plus I reckon you could buy about 3 boxes of cornflakes for what toyota would charge you for the genuine gasket.

have you got a nerw backing plate yet?? I have 1.

Better still.

Buy some Gasket Paper and make one. Use the ball end of a hammer to get the shape!

Should have plenty of Gasket Paper left over to make other gaskets for various other parts later on. :D

It's fun making your own gaskets. I did one to go between my gearbox and it's bellhousing. It takes a bit of patience, but it's really easy to do and you get a nice sense of achievement and a pretty homemade gasket (which is equally good to a bought one).

• 3 weeks later...