Rat Rod...

ROLLN'03

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, sounds great!

Just give Dodgee Customs a ring. They can source parts, and even built it for you if you want! Can also get all the paperwork and details required, and lots of great information and help.

Just PM me for details...

Awesome stuff mate. Coming along very nicely, although I recomend you check and be 100% certain it will qualify for full rego, the last thing you would want is to find that you have put all the work in and can't even enjoy it how you want.

I am a hot rod fanatic too and pretty much all hot rodders steer clear of building chassis from scratch and just modify the likes of the early hilux's etc. I know hear in NSW its basically a dead cause building on from scratch for full rego so other chassis are just modded. I believe its something along the lines of the two main rails and atleast one crossmember must be standard to comply.

Anyway, seems your taking the perfect approach with the holden gear. Check out the www.ozrodders.com forums if you haven't already, some awesome info on there, great guys, and I am sure they would love to see/hear about your project and be able to help wherever necessary.

Peachey

Valuable comments. Very interested to chat more, and here some more stories. :D Up here, Hot Rodding is all about Old Skool, and the ways it used to be...

I am 100% sure it will pass for full rego. This is the third one that we have built, and will be the third one to go on full rego.

Obvisiously things are a little different up this way. Up here all rodders build scratch built chassis, restore original ones (ford/chev etc), or buy pre built ones to suit whatever body they use.

The good thing about scratch building, is that you can have it how you want it...

I will post up some pics ASAP of the previous ones that we have built.

Cheers for the comments. :)

Ok good to hear you will be able to register it, although this raises the thought of something along the lines of all the people who are now unable to build scratch built rods and get full rego, why don't they just have them registered in QLD originally and then bring them elsewhere and transfer them over?

How long ago were your other two rods built? there has been a hell of alot of changes made over the past 2-3 years and has raised alot of confusion, frustration, problems etc. among builders. A dedicated section regarding registration has been added to the ozrodders forums for that specific reason, if I get the chance I will run this by them, if not it might be worthwhile checking if the other cars were built a while back.

I have all the plans here ready to go for a scratch built chassis for a rod I plan to start building for show purposes in a couple of years time. I would have probably started already if it was registable in any way at all, even if it meant being registered in a relative or friends name from another state or whatever it took.

None the less looks to be some top quality work yoiur doing there and can't wait to see more pics.

Peachey

Ever since reading that post, Biggo, I have images of Peachy being a short grey haired bloke, with a long untamed grey beard, old overalls and smokes like a chimney...

Sad and twisted mind I have...

Joining those forums now :)

Hey Guys, Another update ASAP...

We have built x 2 rods over the past 6 years, and up here, the rules havent changed. As i previously stated, our best friend is a Inspection Officer, and he has all the updates, and lays down the rules...

We are ASRF members also...

Sucks to be down that way! :)

NoPsi - I Beam? Damn, hope you got some money! Wish i was rich enough to afford one of those for my hot rod!...

Glad to hear that everyone is enjoying this thread!........ Keep them comments rolling... :D

I can't wait to get this thing going... v8 power with 1/3 the weight of a commodore! :)

Alright! UPDATE: Weekend 20th - 21st...

1. Installed better condition diff.

2. Installed engine

3. Made gearbox mounts + loop

4. Installed rack

5. Started planning for Firewall / Cowl

Everything went like a dream, easy fit (normally very hard) got all of our clearances correct. Havent finished the engine tube bar yet though...

Next up is the K member, and the bracing for the firewall, body and floor! :) can't wait...

Pictures tell a thousand stories - so Ive heard anyway... :)