"cold" Plugs And Operating Temperature

Tham

Since converting to full electronic ignition after the

installation of an electronic distributor, I note that

the engine runs somewhat hotter than before.

I am using standard "hot" plugs, such as Bosch W8DC,

Nippondenso W16EX-U or NGK BP5ES.

I wonder if switching to "cold" plugs, such as Bosch W7DC,

Nippondenso W20EX-U or NGK BP6ES, might lower

operating temperature ?

Members dont see this ad

and no, running a colder plug wont make a difference, it will oil or carbon up faster, likewise a hotter plug will last longer in an oil burner, but makes no real difference to fuel and definatly no difference to timing or temp

I'm pretty sure the temperature of the spark has no direct correlation with the operating temperature of the engine. Correct me if I'm wrong.

yes.....correct. :lmao:

I'd say its just a coincidence that it is running a little hotter than normal......definately check timing....

Edited by Xany

Taken from NGK's Technical information section.

NGK's Technical Information

Heat Range

With modified engines (those engines that have increased their compression) more heat is a by-product of the added power that normally comes with increased compression. In short, select one heat range colder for every 75-100 hp you add, or when you significantly raise compression. Also remember to retard the timing a little and to increase fuel enrichment and octane. These tips are critical when adding forced induction (turbos, superchargers or nitrous kits), and failure to address ALL of these areas will virtually guarantee engine damage.

An engine that has poor oil control can sometimes mask the symptom temporarily by running a slightly hotter spark plug. While this is a "Band-Aid" approach, it is one of the only examples of when and why one would select a hotter spark plug.

"© 2005 NGK Spark Plugs Pty Ltd | site by Echo Reality "

Edited by Trev

Sorry about that NGK copyright infringment

misunderstanding in my earlier post under

"Cold Plugs".

I didn't mean to cause that argument

between Trev and Redwarf with my post.

Thanks for the info, Trev, it was quite informative.

Hardly any mechanic in Malaysia bothers to tighten

spark plugs with a torque wrench (hardly any

has one, for that matter). That's something important

I noted years ago.

Thank you for showing concern. There really wasn't a need to apologise though.. these things do happen occasionally on forums so it's just something that needs time to time reminding. No harm meant at all and we thank all for understanding the seriousness of this.

Now... to all members.. PLEASE take note next time you make any form of referrals from other sites, that you clealy mark where you sourced the acquired information from and/or provide a link.

Thank you :lmao: