Problem With My 5k

Hi all, just wondering if anyone can help me out. I bought a 5k off an old friend a while ago and just put it in my ke35 and i'm having problems getting it running. The 5k has a modified cam, not sure on the specs, and its having troubles starting. There's not much manifold vacuum and i don't know if it's due to the cam or the carbie??? The only way i can get it started is to pour fuel down the carbie! it runs but coughs n splutters and backfire's through the carbie then just stalls. I checked the point & plug gaps they're fine but the timing is way past 20 dgrs for it to run. The tank is old and so the fuel don't look great, tried flushing it a few times but not much success! Can the dirty fuel be the cause of the backfires and stalling or is it the manifold vacuum??? What could be the cause of the low manifold vacuum??? Does the timing change because of the cam??? :)

Members dont see this ad

Cool thanks guys i'll test the compression

I checked the timing, thought it may have jumped a tooth, but its all sweet. Not sure if there's a vacuum leak, i've put a kit through the carbie tho i'm thinking of getting a weber.

sounds like coulsd be a carbie problem. can you see fuel going though the carb? is your fuel pump working? i once put a fuel pump on without the spacer and snapped the drive for the fuel pump off. look there maybe?

tow start maybe?

I got her running yesterday but still had to drop fuel down the carb, checked the timing and i could only just see the mark on the pulley right down the bottom about 40 dgrs advanced so i had to time it by ear. I had it running sweet till tonight i tried kicking it over and still nothing, :) tried dropping fuel down the carb and she fired but soon after died. I put a new few pump on a while ago and the spacers on too, theres pressure in the line. I just don't think it's getting fuel through the carb. Couldn't see as it was getting dark! Think it may be time for a new manifold and carb or weber! Do you think the cam could be too big and therefor not enough manifold vacuum to draw the Fuel??? :)