12a Into T-18

Brendo

hey guys i got a 1980 TE-72 T-18, its a pure pig but with stock engine.

don't really wanna spend dollars on the engine, i want ROTOR!

anyone had anything to do with a similar/same conversion?

input would be great guys..........

cheers

Brendan :(

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the sight you're probably thinking of is jascoautomotive.com

the car you're thinking of is this, which isn't a 12a turbs but a ported NA motor.

00091.jpg

bznout%20cert1.jpg

AMBERS%20ENGINE%20BAY%20003.jpg

mmmm rs5's!! thats what my rx4 will be wearing in about 2 weeks!:(

the conversion would be much the same as that of putting a rotary engine in one of the "sister cars", ie, 808/929/capella/121 etc.

the engine mounts for most rotaries are off the front of the engine rather than the sides like piston motors (13b turbo motors are the exception to this rule, as they have side engine mounts) You can see the front mount in that last pic.

this is done usually by using an rx4 cross member that bolts into the front sway bar mounts on the mazdas as the cars listed above also came out with rotaries being an "RX".

you would also then need a gearbox suitable for the rotor, ie, an rx7 series 1,2,3 box would be fine, and then modify a GB cross memeber to suit the rolla, and the tail shaft would need modifying.

next you will need a new radiator again s1,2,3 rx7 1 would do the trick (I actually have one of these, with oil cooler kicking around at home!! :D ) and all rotors need oil coolers aswell.

that would be all the hardest stuff, then you would just have to modify some wiring and the fuel system to suit.

you could pick up a standard 12a with carby, dizzy, alt, water pump etc (basically everything) for around $500 - $1000 depending on condition and the retention of the owner arse hole!!

haha, nah thats not me know the guy who owns it though, that car has a broken axle at the moment so it'll light up one wheel easy in 4th, what did he come past you at like 100+kph alight!?? :monkey: its got basically the same engine as mine, weber fed 13b bridge port. Mines a '73 white 4 door with the early flat nose.

if you're ever really serious about rotorising your car, I can help you out sourcing a good engine and pats and putting it in your car for the love of the brap!!!! :)