What Sort Of Engine Should Put I In My Ke70 Update Corolla

Hey guys I'm new to this site and i own a KE70 1983 corolla update which is my little project car and I was wondering what sort of motor I should put in. I'm after a bit more horse power not interested in putting an V8 in, something easy but with more power and 5 speed manual. Also does anyone know about extracters on my year model engine as I have a cannon exhaust system installed and was told to install extracters as i lost power.

thanks Danni

Members dont see this ad

You say it's the update model, so that sounds like it's an AE71 as opposed to a KE70. Does it have slant headlights flush with the grille or square ones inset deeper than the grille?

As far as upgrades go, it doesn't make too much of a difference, as crossmembers can be swapped etc. The KE70 came stock with the 4KC 1.3L pushrod 4, whereas the AE71 had the 4AC 1.6L SOHC 4. Both are carbie, and dependind on your bent can be modded with the usual carbie mods (aka sidedraughts, ramflo, lumpy cam etc). However, your best option (involving a bit of work though, but it's been done a million times before) is to remove the current engine and put in a RWD 4AGE twincam engine from an AE82, 86 or 92. AE82 and 92 4As are front wheel drive, and a bit of work has to be done to convert them to RWD, but an AE86 4AGE is RWD stock from the factory, but very hard to track down as they were never sold here.

Since the 4AGE is EFI, you'll need a ECU, wiring loom, EFI fuel tank and pump or an external surge tank, A-series engine crossmember (the AE71 already has this), as well as the whole intake and exhaust systems as they aren't common with the 4AC. However, it will give you substantially more power (bigport 4AGEs have 86kw, smallports have 100kw but are FWD from the factory)

Then behind that you'll need a T50 5-speed manual, which are pretty easy to find (not sure, but you might have one already if you have a 5-speed AE71)

* EDIT

KE70s did come out with the updated front end, so could possibly have a 4kc stock... Just have to check the plates...

Nick here on rollaclub changed back to a 4kc from a 4ac, as the 4ks are much more reliable as the 4ac are prone to blowing head gaskets..

Also, the 4ac are only single cam, you are thinking of the 4ac's in the fwd ae series....

IMO Id go 4age, so many people have done this, its soo easy these days!

Good luck anyway...! :jealous:

I'm not sure what the previous owners did to the car but one thing I had a lot of ignition and starter motor problems in the end it took a brand new starter motor and an auto electrician to fix the problems. All i have done to the car is mostly paint and body work. So I am looking into ways i can make the car run better the FAQ has been helpful giving me ideas to fix the current engine i have.

Easy way would be to toss the 4K (don't like them) and get a 5K (1.5L) or 7K (1.8L) and bolt in. All accessories will bolt up and you can make it look stock if you want to. Handy for insurance and rego purposes :jealous:

Or go the 4age route if you like as there is heaps of info out there on the swap.

Also, the 4ac are only single cam, you are thinking of the 4ac's in the fwd ae series....

Actually, the 4ACs in the FWD series had only SOHC too, I was implying that going from a 4AC to a 4KC you lose the overhead camshaft (because the 4KC is pushrod)

So technically, the 4KC has 1 less overhead camshaft than the 4AC (the 4AC has 1, the 4KC has none)

As to the KE70 having the updated front, I was not aware of that. Every updated front I've seen has been an AE71, and every non-updated one has been a KE70

4age,4agze ca18de/det sr29de/det There are 6 cly's that fit too the list goes on.

You best bet would be to work out a what you wanna spend, the power your chasing, You wanna keep a toyota motor in it or happy to put something else in?????

Then post up and everyone will be able to help your more.

Goodluck good to see people modifying rollas

Me i d turbo a 4agze and put some coilovers in it!!!!!!!