Teddy

Hey All

If i said - Build me the Nasty'est 4K motor possible, what would u do to for-fill this request?

(money isnt an issue in this lil game)

(This requires every 1 to think excotic, but still possible)

Lets here some ideas !!!

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i wouldn't say my motor is nasty, or exotic. just a well matched budget combo, which has had 3 years of fine tuning.

my engine is a late dished 4k. i scored it for nothing for helping a guy get a few cars running and tidy his yard. it was a fresh jap import that was put in a car, but they never got running.

i took it home opened it up, perfect. all the bearings like new. just nicely run in. i just retorqued it and replaced all the seals. i put in a tighe 113 reground cam. 25/65 65/25 400 thou lift. i also shimmed the oilpump pressure relief spring with a 2mm washer, for extra oil flow and added reliability. also changed orig single row timing chain for double row item.

i skimmed the head for 9.8:1 compression (late dished 9.5:1 std). gave the ports a cleanup, nothing flash just got rid of all the casting dags. i paid most of my attention to the valve bowls, gently blending them into the seats forming a venturi . i got a decent 3 angle valve job. i reused the standard valve springs, shimming them for extra seating pressure (be careful doing this, coil bind bends pushrods and strips rocker supports).

the headwork cost $100 for the machining. that was, skimming, 3 angle job, and a couple of helicoils on the back of the head.

cost $90 for cam regrind, and a little over $100 for the VRS kit and seals. add around $70 for an exchange clutch kit (which i broke in the first 2 months). cost a bit under $400 all up in the car with oil and filter.

the rest of the combo comprises a ke70 5 speed, weber 28/36 DCD, scorcher recurved bosch dizzy, pacemaker 4 into 1 extractors, 1 7/8 inch exhaust, and 4.55:1 diff.

it goes quite well, and returns good fuel economy, very smooth wide power band. it is lots of fun to beat newer cars off at the lights. especially now with the 4.55 diff. have claimed a couple of v8 victories in the last week. v6's pah! :)

just remember that a ke15 only weighs around 730 kg. it's all about power to weight, and gearing.

i've just spent more time than money on my setup.

no expense spared 4k?

billet alloy block with steel liners, guaranteed to 20000rpm. crossflow formula atlantic head with the biggest cams you could stuff into it, something like 320 degrees duration, huge titanium valves, 4v per cylinder :) fly cut billet pistons. new steel crank, offset to increase stroke, pistons the same diameter as stroke (80mmx80mm?). billet rods and mains. static compression 8 . 5 : 1, overdriven toyota sc14 supercharger, pumping about a conservative 1.5 bar into the donk. head studs, dry sump, jun 3.4kg alloy flywheel (yes they make them for 4k, only $1110). whatever the best motec fuel and ignition computer is, low impedance injectors on custom manifold (it'd have to be for the head), motec cdi spark system

put it in a ke10 painted matt grey so it looks like primer, 12" wheels with factory hubcaps and skinny tires

good enough? :S

call COME Engineering and ask how much do do a one-off block, head, main, and rod casting. considering how expensive their "mass" production v8 stuff is, i don't think you'd be getting much change from like a hundred grand. i love corollas but not even i would spend that on it :S

i'd quite like to build a 3k one day, to see how quickly it revs compared to a 4k. i have some 040 pistons and 10+ spare long motors and heads under my mums house, so it would cost me like a valve job, cam grind and a gasket set to do. hmm, hurry and blow up mr freshly-built $2000 4k :)