My Ke15 And Ke16

Felix

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea the wagons (well at least the manuals) came with 4.44 diffs standard. The one in my ke16 was pilfered by Redwarf before we got the car. LOL.

Cleaned all the windows of the ke15 on the inside this evening with vinegar and water. It was fricken filthy. I can actually see out now. When I test drove it the other night I could hardly see a thing.

Need to make a new rear parcel shelf. The old one that was made from MDF has disintegrated for some reason on the passenger side. Think fuel has gotten into it or something.

No pics yet, was to dark.

Felix,

MDF might of gone as the fuel over flow vent line is high up under there. Might of disintergrated and then got fuel on MDF.

I find if I fill my KE15 full I drive down the road and lose 5L of fuel as it sloshes up over the over flow line on to the road. So Have to fix this..LOL Wasting fuel.

Cameron

Yep Cam I'd say that was the cause.

I always found it wasn't worth filling the tank up or I'd get bad fuel overflow and fuel fumes in the cabin. 7/8's was about the most you could put in or it would end up all down the side of the car on right hand corners.

Did the school run this morning in the ke15, got some fuel on the way home... Funny the younger dudes checking it out wondering WTF is it?

This arvy gave the engine bay a quick degrease, cleaned the air filter and put some new wiper blades on it.

Took some pics as the sun was going down. Mind the bits of paint missing from birdshit as it lived under a tree for a bit... She needs a respray.

post-166-1272539469_thumb.jpg

post-166-1272539490_thumb.jpg

post-166-1272539505_thumb.jpg

post-166-1272539520_thumb.jpg

post-166-1272539549_thumb.jpg

post-166-1272539562_thumb.jpg

post-166-1272539583_thumb.jpg

post-166-1272539603_thumb.jpg

post-166-1272539617_thumb.jpg

post-166-1272539632_thumb.jpg

post-166-1272539644_thumb.jpg

Made up a new rear parcel shelf with the help of the missus for the ke15 this afternoon to replace the old one that was rooted. Fitted a set of new Alpine Type S 85wrms sikbenines that aren't wired up yet. Have a set of MB Quart 6" splits to fit up front later once I reco the underdash shelf I have. Don't think I'll worry about a head unit, just going to wire my Ipod direct to the amp.

Currently in the process of changing over the much better seatbelts from the ke16 into the sprinter, and making up a fitted seat cover for the rear seat out of a picnic blanket. The top of the rear seat is stuffed but the cover should do the trick until later on down the track when I plan to get the seats retrimmed.

Missus took the ke15 for a spin into town earlier today and loved it. LOL, she's trying to claim it as hers.

Edited by Felix

Man I have to ask, are the ke15's as painful to fuel up as the KE16? Because mine is a dog to get full and when you do it you gotta be on your game to make sure you don't ge eau de petroleum before you head out with the lady...

Well got the new seatbelts in and the missus finished tailoring a picnic blanket to better fit the rear seat. Looks a lot neater now.

Little bit more wiring to do to finish the stereo. Works great with the iPod straight into the amp. Bit weird with the sound only coming from the rear, but I'll fix that soon with some front splits. At least is has got tunes now. No sub bass, but meh, the boot is only so big and fits the essentials, ie. a few cartons and some groceries.

No, not retractables. They are a set of Klippans that I've had in a few cars now. Retractables would be nice, but these ones hang up out of the way pretty easy. I like retractables in bigger cars, but in this thing for some reason I prefer a non-retractable seatbelt done up real firm.

They are not period seatbelts but it doesn't really bother me. They are in good nick whereas the old ones were faded and fraying.

Put in some new outer door rubbers this morning, changed the battery mounting bracket and just finished off the stereo wiring.

Might go up and try to tighten up the manifolds a bit. Have a leak at the extractor gasket on one or both of the center extractor pipes. Really I should pull the carb and extractors off and fit a new gasket, but don't really feel like the stuff around atm. The extractors are a bitch to work on in this thing... Leave it for another weekend.

Also might fit up the cable for the carb fuel enrichment circuit so it is easier to keep going when cold. Notice I didn't call it a choke, the DCD webers have a small 3rd barrel for fuel enrichment and don't run a choke flap. It is quite handy for carb tuning to see if you are running lean.

Tightened up the manifolds, the leak is nowhere near as bad now. Got a working choke. Changed over the sideview mirror with the one on the ke16, the mirror should stay in one place now. Also did a temporary fix to the rear muffler bracket which was broken.

Might see if I can get some paint matched up during the week to do some touch ups to neaten it up a bit more.

Wow out doing me on progress..LOL

As for the rear muffler bracket. My local exhaust shop (not a crap guy either) he actually used a rubber strap I questioned it a bit but stiff rubber and so far so good even when I change the bolt going through it all the time to fit my straight through pipe. Works liek acharm. So if you have issues with rear mount just make a rubber strap.

Cheers

Cameron

Hey Cam,

Yea the old girl has come a fair way since you saw it a few weeks back. I think seeing your '15 is what has motivated me. :)

I'll have a look around for another rear muffler mount like what is on it. If I can't find one I'll look into a rubber strap like you are talking about. The ke16 has a rubber strap on it, looks like multi-ply conveyor belt rubber or something similar.

Cheers,

Doug

• 2 weeks later...

Gave the ke15 a quick tune this arv. The point gap was real small, so opened it to 0.5mm and retimed it to 12 degs btdc.

Can't remember the last time I readjusted the pointgap and reset the timing. The points would have to be 5-6 years (or more) old... The contact area doesn't wear at all with the Silicon Chip (DSE) HEI kit, just a bit of rubbing block wear.

Haven't driven it on the road yet as I'd had a few beers, but around the backyard it has way more throttle response. Idle along in first and blip the throttle and the thing wheelspins like mad. It is like it is free revving in neutral. In second once you have 15kays on the clock the same thing happens.

Before it had a hesitation when the secondary opened. Be interesting to see how it goes tomorrow.