Ke 30 How To Fit A 5 Speed

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

The gasket I talk about I was meaning isnt there a seal between the motor and the gear box? or do the two metal surface just bolt up together?

Also the clutch shudder in the torana was from the original clutch holden put in when we redid it it went away. And we found out holden did it up wrong (when removing some bolts were looser). And the car had it since new the shudder.

When you say miss allignment of the clutch could cause shudder how do you over come this? As I don't have an allignment tool (shaft from an old gear box). How do I then allign it? As I though I bolt clutch to fly wheel with plate in centre or as close as possible then I just slide gear box on?

Also does anyone have a list o what I should do first to remove the gear box? what is the best way to attack it so I don't undo the wrong things first and then delay my self for hours?

Thanks

Cameron

When you say miss allignment of the clutch could cause shudder how do you over come this? As I don't have an allignment tool (shaft from an old gear box). How do I then allign it? As I though I bolt clutch to fly wheel with plate in centre or as close as possible then I just slide gear box on?

If you don't align the clutch correctly you wont even be able to get the gearbox on the car... Trying to do it by eye is a big waste of time too. Either buy a universal clutch alignment tool (plastic $30 metal $60) or rip an old input shaft out of the same kind of gearbox and do it that way. Where are you located? Ive got both a 'universal' kit and a K50 input shaft.

Hi,

The gasket I talk about I was meaning isnt there a seal between the motor and the gear box? or do the two metal surface just bolt up together?

Also the clutch shudder in the torana was from the original clutch holden put in when we redid it it went away. And we found out holden did it up wrong (when removing some bolts were looser). And the car had it since new the shudder.

Also does anyone have a list o what I should do first to remove the gear box? what is the best way to attack it so I don't undo the wrong things first and then delay my self for hours?

Thanks

Cameron

You don't have a clue do you?

I think you should get someone to help/teach you :lolcry:

Hi Cameron,

You could get a Gregorys Corolla service and repair manual, for KE30 (or KE55).

In the book it has the torque settings for the bolts.

It also has step by step procedures for installation and removal of mechanical parts, like the gearbox.

Bruce

Hi,

No I know what I'm doing I just what to do it right as I need my car so I wanna know everything that can or could go wrong or hold me up and then go at it so I don't lose time.

I have build 2 chev's and build jet engine so I have a fai idea about mechanics.

With the gear box input shaft for allignment of the clutch I'm in Ipswich Brisbane if your close. It would be a big help.

Cameron

Hi,

No I know what I'm doing I just what to do it right as I need my car so I wanna know everything that can or could go wrong or hold me up and then go at it so I don't lose time.

I have build 2 chev's and build jet engine so I have a fai idea about mechanics.

With the gear box input shaft for allignment of the clutch I'm in Ipswich Brisbane if your close. It would be a big help.

Cameron

If you can build jet engines, I'm pretty sure this conversion should be a piece of piss :lolcry:

If you had any idea about mechanics, you wouldn't ask if there was a gasket between the engine and gearbox, nor would you be asking any of these questions, just pull everything apart and make it all fit again.

I have only ever aligned clutches in my corolla by eye, and I have done burnouts and blown around 20 gearboxes, so I have done it a stack of times, and not once had an issue

If you had any idea about mechanics, you wouldn't ask if there was a gasket between the engine and gearbox, nor would you be asking any of these questions, just pull everything apart and make it all fit again.

I have only ever aligned clutches in my corolla by eye, and I have done burnouts and blown around 20 gearboxes, so I have done it a stack of times, and not once had an issue

Its not a problem, just as long as you get the gearbox on. Ive done it by eye before too but I find it far easier to line it up with a tool.

hi,

Well I got hte KE70 today after a bit of fiddling I go the box off with ease adn motor out and had the car apart in no time.

I also got some spare time tonight so I made a jig to allign my clutch out of some spare rod and stainless steel.

So Box change will be simple as spline on my KE30 is the same.

Just if your interested I have attached a pic of my gokart that I made that can currentyl run 0-100KM/h in 4 flat but yet to install gear box so this will improve. And yet to tune it. Has 80HP in a 125 KG machine and can do 180km/h at 1/3 throttle as the chain has a max of 20,000 RPM and I am reviong hte motor to 60,000 RPM. Also I sit 100mm away from the combustion chamberr and the turbine that runs at a nice cool 1000 degrees C..lol If you stop moving you have to jump out fast as it gets hot fast..lol

Enjoy pic.

Cameron

P.S. this is an old pic I have since re done the power turbine drive side to increase the power output

post-1811-1152961090_thumb.jpg