Leafy Wisdom

Hey hey, all you insane Corolla gurus out there.

Should I go cheapo and fit wagon springs from the wreckers to stiffen my KE30's behind? Would it make an appreciable difference? I'm just assuming they would fit. Or should I get Redcliff Springs and Suspension to reset them plus 1 leaf for what is admittedly a very reasonable price?

Members dont see this ad

I'd recommend Redcliffe Springs and Suspension, they did mine about a year ago and they are still a nice ride. I think i had wagon springs under mine already....and i'm pretty sure the only difference is the slapper bar. (don't quote me on that)

I had my ride done by Pedders. My ride only went down 30mm MAX.

Not happy Jan!!

He said it was his duty of care not to leave me with an unsafe ride and he said if he lowered it anymore it'd be unsafe. Wasn't happy considdering how much I paid.

Before Lowerage

post-1158-1155202436_thumb.jpg

After Lowerage

post-1158-1155202319_thumb.jpg

I lowered my Galant (bought Pedders low springs and Monroe Comfort shocks including the front strut conversion to replaceable inserts) at a cost of just over $1000. It only lowered my car about 30mm, maybe as much as 40mm. It was just too low, or at least too soft and soggy. I'd bottom out on speed humps with more than one person in the car.

King Spring Superlows is whatcha want if u wanna dump it in the weeds.

I asked my suspension guy here about lowering blocks. His answer was that they're legal, only if the height of your spring doesnt go past the edge of your rim.

e.g. if you get a flat tyre, its not going to sit on the spring instead of the rim.

Other than that, its perfectly legal to have lowering blocks here in South Australia.

Edited by Raven

It seems I've been mistaken. Lowness is not the goal. Stopping it from being a sloppy bag of crap is the goal. Complimentary to this goal, and probably more effective, will be the fitment of 15s, to lower the profile and stop the sidewall of the tyre doing most of the gripping during 'khanas, roundabouts, etc. But will need to flare the guards for that. And JiP_01, I hope you didn't spend all them simoleons on the rear... Maybe on shocks and custom springs all round? And what is a slapper bar? Cause the wagons do have an extra leaf.

The slapper bar is a thicker leaf that sits on the bottom of the leaf pack...basically so you can carry a little bit more weight, and it also sometimes helps with axle tramp.

Wagon Slapper Bar

Wagon leaf packs have a large bar on the bottom of the pack, not attached to anything. This is to stop your Corolla bottoming out when you're carrying around big heavy loads in the back (as you're able to with a wagon, not so much with a sedan). Jonny Rochester tried this slapper bar in a performance capacity when he had his KE38 wagon, but found the progression from soft stock leaves to hard slapper bar was too hard too fast.

Thanks to FAQ

To fit 15's you shouldnt have to flare the guards....i've fitted at least 2 sets of 15's on my car, and havent done anything except tighten the wheel nuts. It also helps if you have the right offset.

Edited by Xany