4age Into A Ke55

BBQ_Rolla

Just brought a 1987 ae82 with a blue top tiwn cam motor in it, and I need help on which parts I need and where to find them to put this motor in a ke55 coupe.

Will the gearbox off the K-series motor bolt on to the motor?

What flywheel and clutch do I need?

Engine mounts, will Ae71 engine mounts bolt straight onto the Ke55 cross member?

Do I have to storten the tail shaft?

Any help will be great.

Will be working on it every night and weekend.

Couldn't find any threads, the search thing is no good.

Pics to come soon

Thanks

Members dont see this ad
Just brought a 1987 ae82 with a blue top tiwn cam motor in it, and I need help on which parts I need and where to find them to put this motor in a ke55 coupe.

Will the gearbox off the K-series motor bolt on to the motor?

What flywheel and clutch do I need?

Engine mounts, will Ae71 engine mounts bolt straight onto the Ke55 cross member?

Do I have to storten the tail shaft?

Any help will be great.

Will be working on it every night and weekend.

Couldn't find any threads, the search thing is no good.

Pics to come soon

Thanks

I really have to get to it and do a write up on this, there seems to be a boom in popularity in this conversion...

No, a K50 will not bolt up, you need a T50 or T40 from an AE86 or AE71, TA22 will bolt up, but not well, they leak oil.

use the 4AC flywheel from an AE86 or AE71, also use the metal cover from the back of a RWD 4A otherwise dirt and grit will get into the clutch.

AE71 mounts will not work, you have to get them custom made, unless you modify the whole AE71/AE86 cross member to fit in the 55.

yes you will need to shorten the tailshaft and have an AE71 or AE86 gearbox out put shaft grafted on one end.

don't forget that you need to get a new outlet on the fuel tank at the bottom so an EFI pump can pick up fuel, you also need an efi pump, i used a VL one, you need efi fuel lines too.

The clutch needs to be converted to hydraulic, which is alot of stuffing around, i used an AE71 master cylinder.

to do the pedal box you can either adapt an AE71 or AE86 pedal box, or convert the KE one to hydraulic.

don't do this expecting it to take a weekend, i started mine 6 months ago and I'm ALMOST finished!

If you have any specific questions feel free to ask.

• 2 months later...

Hi Slowly getting all the parts together, the parts that I have sourced so far are:

An AE71 full car still running with a 5 speed

An AE82 full car with a blue top 4AGE

Surge tank and electric pump and bigger feul lines.

Now I've pull the 4AGE out and started cleaning it up and taking it down to a bare block.

when I put it back together what parts do I use?

- Water pump And plumbing do I need?

- Alternator?

- Flywheel?

- Clutch?

- Radiator?

And which gear box leaks oil?

I think that all I need help with at the moment. I will be pulling the get gearbox out of the AE71 next week a having to much fun in he paddock with it at the minute.

ta22 box leaks oil it bolts up but not as well and are diifferent spline to the ae71/ae86 t50, u can use the 4ac flywheel.... i am doing a 4age into ke70 project u just gotta research. are u putting it into an ae71 now not a ke55? well that will make life a hell of alot easier lol

have a look at this

http://www.rollaclub.com/board/index.php?showtopic=5644

:hmm: Spelling Fairy says: the correct spelling of "you" requires both a Y and an O to be prefixed to U

The oil leaks out between the gearbox and the bellhousing.

The T-series (ta22, t18 etc.) and A-series (AE71 etc.) bellhousings are slightly different.

When an A-series bellhousing is bolted up to a T-series gearbox, I heard the front bearing needs to be shimed a bit, I think :wink:

Also the T-series bellhousing doesn't fit to the A-series gearbox nicely, but with a bit of modification it could fit.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Ok finally gonna stop looking at all the bits and pieces laying around in the shed and start putting the 4age into my car, seeing I lost my liecence for trying to drag a unmarked cop car.

Does anyone know where I can get a manifold to fit two 40mm weber side draghts?

Whats the sieral number or name of the bearing that i need to get for the flywheel?

Can i use a AE86 water pump? Or would it make things worse?

Do I have to shim the bearing if I got gearbox out of a AE71, which was bolted onto a 4A motor?

I'll start putting pics up of how it coming together when I start.

Thanks

Whats the sieral number or name of the bearing that i need to get for the flywheel?

Do you mean the bearing that sits inside the crank that FWD's don't have and RWD's do ?, If so its called a pilot/spigot bearing and the part number is 6001, Available from any good bearing shop for $5.

You don't need to shim anything to fit the T-50 to a 4A.

:)

Edited by too quick

How can u use a 4AC flywheel, they are 6 bolt. a 4AGE is 8 bolt. Use a 4AGE flywheel (not 4AGZE).

Spigot bearing required yes.

I disassembled a T18 T box and a AE86 T box next to each other. The main shaft is different internally so u can't swap the gears, and a T18 box had one less bearing (it had a bush instead). Externally appart from the shaft splines I don't know of differences.

I have cut down the 4K mounts on a crossmenber to fit a 4AG (Cut off, cut down and re-welded on). Same angle and position, just lower to the crossmember (Shorter). This was in a KE70, so in earlier cars you would have to check sump / head clearence etc. I use AE71 engine mounts on the block.

You probably have the short head-water housing at the back, that is good. Later 4AGE had a long housing that hits the firewall.

The AE82 starter will fit if its a gear reduction type, but the main power bolt will be millimeters off the block, so cover it with something.

The intake will face the wrong way so get a JDM Ae86 intake or cut and shut yours.

Just use the remote thermostat housing from the AE82, I use some strip alloy and bolt it to the block near the engine mount, then my water pipes do a U from the pump to the thermostat housing.

AE71 box is cool. bolts straight up, do use the metal plate from a 4AC (behind the flywheel).

I am getting a KE20 in a week or two, with a 4AGZE in it. The guy made custom mounts from the block to the main crossmember, and he made a custom supercharger mount. I think he did this cause the RWD AE86 JDM manifold has long low runners that meant the charger would have had to sit horizontal and hit the chassis. I prefer my altinator on the exhaust side, close to the battery, leaving room for a charger too :hmm: so I use 4AFE altinator and bracket. 4AFE has 4 rib,5 rib main pulley; 4AGE has 5 rib, 5rib so the 4AFE altinator is out by 1 groove. Just use a belt with less grooves, or grind, shim the altinator forward a couple of millimemeters. I got some strip steel and a 4AC altinator adjuster strip bolted to the block down low.

It was a tight squeeze between his sway bar to sump / pulley, and the head to the firewall.

He hasnt started on the pedal set yet, but as KE20 has no booster, he is planning to mount an entire LiteAce van pedal set as it has under dash booster and master.