How To Set Up An Engine For A 3k Big Port Head

casey

hello boys and girls i am in the proces of buying a 3k bigport to put onto a fresh 4k(as soon as i rebuild it)

all i need to know is what i need to do to it so it dousnt blow up like lloyds :y:

little lloyd has informed me that i should get the rods ballenced and shot piened

can you tell me what else i need to do

if you need a list of mods sing out

thanks casey

Members dont see this ad

i put one on my old 4k, all i did was take the 4k head off, i did a rough valve regrind in my shed at home, sanded all the faces down, put new gaskets on and slapped the 3k bigpot head on with the 4k rocker gear because the 3k stuff was seized, works well for me but now i just have to tune my newest addition to the car which is a 40mm dellorto, made a lot of diffrence to drive it now, lost soe down low but got more up top

• 2 weeks later...

all of ours here were bigports until like '75

i have a totally rebuilt 3kc bigport head, i couldn't use it because with flattop pistons i had around 250lbs of compression

with dished pistons, you should be able to run it ok

f.s. if you're interested, i ran this less than 1,000 mi after paying $250 usd to have it done

post-432-1157425543_thumb.jpg

post-432-1157425580_thumb.jpg

post-432-1157425613_thumb.jpg

post-432-1157425649_thumb.jpg