A Little Guidence Please?

stax

Hey, I'm tris, 18 years old. female victoria.

I bought my first car a few months ago- a 1982 KE70.

I plan to spend a fair bit of money on this car as i only paid $245 for it.

It needs a fair bit of work especially rust, i know how to fix the minor stuff, but i am unsure on how to fix the bigger stuff...especially the sizable holes. and I'm just wondering if anyone could give me some advice on this.

your help would be greatly appreciated as i am keep to get my "beast" roadworthy so i can start turning it into my dream car

Regards, Tris

Members dont see this ad

hey hey

Welcome to the club.

I'm in the middle of removing some rust in my ke70 as well. Big holes are probably best left to the pro's but by all means try it if you have the confedence.

This is how i attacked my rust but different people have different ways of doing it.

linky time http://www.rollaclub.com/board/index.php?s...=9146&st=30

There is photo's of my rust before and after shots.

I removed the paint with a wire brush on a drill and cleaned most of the cancer off with the same rotary brush(pics in the link^^).

Once all the crap was gone and the surrounding area was clean i sprayed it with fish oil. I did about 4 coats of it so there is no hope of it showing its ugly face again.let it dry for a while as you do.

Then i just painted it with undercoat(grey) to help cover the bare metal and to give it the woodridge effect. :P

I didnt use bog because its going to be an autocross car so its bound to get dented and beaten up again.

I purchased all my paints and oils from repco but supercheap, auto1 etc will have the same stuff.

feel free to pm me if i have missed something.

cheers des :y:

Edited by too quick

If you want to fix the big holes the dodgy way for a quick roadworthy pass, get a tin of fibre bog and a clip board folder / sheet of hard plastic. Mix up the bog and make spread a 2 mm layer over the the plastic and wait for it to start to jel. About a minute before it starts to go off mix up another batch of it to use as a glue to fix it to the to the panel. I've fixed huge holes like this before and had them last for years :D

show us some pics of the rust. there is most likely a bit above the tail lights when i had my ke70 i just folded a bit of sheet metal up the right shape but a little bit smaller then cut the rust out weld the new peice in and a thin layer of bog over it. seing as the ke70 is a pretty boxy shape you should be able to fold up new sections out of some thin sheet metal pretty easily.

Edited by ke30king

you will ned an angle grinder, a mig welder, array of hammers or those dolly things the panel beaters have if you feel like gettin picky, some thin sheets of steel or ally.

i used computer cases and scrap bit of galv steel

now, you grind all the rust away

cut sheet metal to approx hole size and rivet or tack weld into place then weld all around the hole, being shit box corolla metal thats been rusted you will prob find it does burn back some even on the lowest setting (i wrote my name thru the metal with my mig in one section when i did mine lol) once thats in place theres a product called "penetrol" that you paint on and it stops the rust and paint sticks well as opposed to fish oil :P

then you grind back your weld, bog and shape, prime and paint

;)

• 3 weeks later...