Head Difference??

Members dont see this ad

From what I knwo there were 3 K head.

Small port, mild port, adn big port

So mild prob not rare.

As for numbers I'm trying togather heaps. There prob random or it's the cast number or what I don't know. I am still trying to find out for sure but in mean time ill collect numbers.

Cameron

The bigport heads came on the ke10 K engines through the ke11 3k and ke2x 3k corollas. The smallport heads were on the ke30 3ks and onwards, continued through the 4ks.

I think the main change to smaller ports was due to the cars getting heavier, hence going to smaller ports with higher inlet velocity for more low down torque.

The ones referred to as mild port were the dished piston heads.

The bigport heads had inlet ports of around 30mm diameter.

The smallport heads inlet ports were around 25 mm diameter.

The dished piston heads have inlet ports around 28 mm diameter, with small combustion chambers.

Edited by Felix

so by using this k mildport head on my 5k with ge pistons it will give me a higher compression than using a 3k smallport?

Yes. A dished piston head has about half the combustion chamber volume of a flat top piston head.

Best thing you could do, would be to measure the volume in the piston crown of your pistons. Then you could work out what combustion chamber volume you need to reach your target compression ratio. Make sure you take into account head gasket volume. Saves a lot of guess work. :)

• 4 months later...

I know this is an old thread, but i'm trying to find info on the head thats in a 'soon to be mine' ke35.

I know its had a reco engine at some point, turns out its a 4k, but it has the little ridges under 1 and 4 plugs.

So i'll get numbers soon, but what do you think it couild be? Do all dished piston heads have the ridges?

BTW the 3k-c in my car has 22 on its head. Just another number to add!

Hi,

Nah this thread can be old but can keep going.

With the ridges that means you have a dished piston 4K. So a normal 4K head will drop that motors compression. Great for turbo or SC setup.

As for that 4K the push rods in that 4K are what you need to run 3F lifters in a 5K as there slightly shorter. So if you change the push rods to say run a normal head keep them handy :D

Cheers

Cameron

• 9 months later...