Engine Swap And Paper Work??

Hi,

With my KE30 the old 3K is getting a bit tired and I plan to install a 4K motor into it and a KE70 5 speed box. But I was just wanting to know what other people have been through in QLD to get there cars road legal with it and insurance to still cover them? So mainly I'm looking for info on how to go about doing this mod on the paper work side and where I should start as all RTA could tell me was ring a mechanic blah blah no help.

As I know how to do the swap but since I need my car I was hoping to get the swap done in a day and the next day take the car to a place to get the blue plate. But can anyone give me a good name or number of a person in the Brisbane/ Ipswich area who can do this?

Cameron

Members dont see this ad

as far as i know, (although I'm not sure about queensland)

all you have to do is let transport know your new engine number, and your insurance company.

I think in tasmania, not sure about QLD you can put up to a 1600cc K-series engine into a ke-xx (so 5k? which is 1500cc) without an engineers cetificate!

I Hope that helps

John

P.S. I'm not 100% on any of that so feel free to correct me and i will edit this post!

Edited by HEKTIC

Ok just off phone. Still have to make another call. But in QLD I was just told they go by horsepower. So if I do an engine change that is not a option my car came with from toyota I can have a max of 10% at the fly wheel. This info is straight from the RTA

So now I was looking in the FAQ and noticed the 4K motor was started in 78. My car is a end of run KE30 made in 78. So what do you think about trying to go for it was an option as the mech. would have to be pretty cluey to know hey the KE30 never had a 4K. As my 30 does have the dash in it that most KE55 had and I have installed a 55 bonnet so if I say it a inbetween car thye might do it. As budget is limeted to no existant so looking for it cheap..lol As I am doing whole motor swap and that my self so far project has totaled $0.

Cameron

Ok for the motor if it si a K series motor I was just told by DOT it can go it. Go figure I never knew a 7K was just bolt in but anyway. I have now attached the form you have to fill out if your in QLD to do the job it is easy as fill in they cheak and your set ;)

But now for the gear box. Never asked about it as well they look the same who will know. As I can see if I tell then it is out of a KE70 and I cut a hole in the floor. GONE So how have other people gone about getting the 5 speed swap done have they just kept quiet or is it again like the motor even with cut floor just a form and your done?

Cameron

P.S. Wont let me attach the PDF so below is the link

http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/qt/formsda...78?OpenDocument

If link is a no worker it is document number qf3524 on the QLD transport site

Edited by camerondownunder88

But now for the gear box. Never asked about it as well they look the same who will know. As I can see if I tell then it is out of a KE70 and I cut a hole in the floor. GONE So how have other people gone about getting the 5 speed swap done have they just kept quiet or is it again like the motor even with cut floor just a form and your done?

You would really have to talk to an engineer. With my Silvia I went from a CA18DE to an SR20DET. Now while the SR20DET is an "optioned" motor for the car in later models I still got it engineered for both motor and gearbox. I guess turbo is the big issue with the motor but the gearbox bolts up to all the standard points with the same mounts, a slightly rewired loom and the same gearstick & hole. So its got even more chassis commonality than an early K40 and a KE70 K50 but my engineer still mod plated it. You'd probably get away with the K40->K50 though because they look much the same.

as far as i know, (although I'm not sure about queensland)

all you have to do is let transport know your new engine number, and your insurance company.

I think in tasmania, not sure about QLD you can put up to a 1600cc K-series engine into a ke-xx (so 5k? which is 1500cc) without an engineers cetificate!

I Hope that helps

John

P.S. I'm not 100% on any of that so feel free to correct me and i will edit this post!

i did this with my car when i got it regoed on VC plates, just had my engine number changed to a 4k one

Yeah should be able to get away with box as corolla_kid didnt tell them about the hole he cut adn they passed it pon his blue plate he got for box.

But Ill try the tack of a replacement motor..lol As it isnt the modifications section i will have to go through so what is the chance of them knowing..lol

But on the KE30 it has the middle shifter position. As 10,20 had a far fowards one 30 and 50 had it in the middle, and 70 had it futher back again. So my hole wont be to big.

Cameron

ke20, ke55 and ke30 have the shifter in the same spot, ke10 has it right foward and ke70 has it back, in my ke11 i had to cut a new hole for the ke55 box and i just used the metal ring from inside the shifter boot and screwed it down ove the top of a piece on old metal, passed my vintage car rego