Not A Rolla, But A Rona Rt40

Jordan

I bought this car from Nick in Nuriopta in SA's, the pics seem to have dissapeared but here's the thread link: (Cheers KJ for posting it up)

http://www.rollaclub.com/board/index.php?showtopic=9118

here it is now:

car1no1.jpg

Photo taken atop Cradle Mt. on Wednesday the 15th of Novemeber on my way to Queenstown, tasmania.

Just for the record:

1968 Toyota Corona RT40 sedan

seating for 6

now black with fender mirrors

52,500mils on the clock

2speed toyoglide automatic transmission, coupled to the 1500cc 2R engine

The engine Didn't miss a beat on the 1000+km journey, just was a little slow up the mountains, and has a top speed of ~120km/h on the flat. The only issue was that as I was driving from St. Kilda to the docks on tuesday the front left brake shoes faild. However in Devenport in Tassie the local brake man had 2 sets of shoes to fit. Got to be lucky sometime.

Cheers

Jordan

Edited by Jordan

Members dont see this ad

keep it as a cruzer, the interior is overrated, and uber comfortable. Not sure what I'll have as a hills'e car. either work on my TA22, buy another GT4 or buy something already done. That's a decission I'll be making in March when I get back from Tassie.

This one's just for driving from A-B with no fuss from the cops, and for cruzing down to the bay on a Friday night.

Jordan

Edited by Jordan

• 9 months later...

Bit of an update

Since retuning from Tasmania in March, and a trip to Mt, Feathertop/Hotham the Mighty 2R's compression had dropped to an even 90psi in all cylinders. not good. As such the decision was made to swap in a 4AGE running twin side draft carbies (as you do :party:. The hunt began for a suitable 4age, and thanks to Matty an abandon KE10 project pesented itself.

useful Bits:

• The rebuilt head (very nice)
    The carbies (Twin S5 solex's previous off a 2TG)
    Redline manifold
    T-50 box
    Exhaust manifold
    Motor auxilleries (water piping etc...)

Bits that sold

• The 4AGE -> KE10 mounts
    The KE10 rolling shell

In order to get the solex's singing in harmony, user Rodger aka: Mr. Solex was contacted to supply a linkage kit. After a bit of measuring and tweaking it was deliverd and fitted. 40mm ram tubes have been fitted to complete the look :P

the4agasitshouldhavebeegf3.jpg

certifiedhecticzg1.jpg

the other problem with the 4AGE is that the injectors mount in the head directly to read about how I solved this problem look her

Next it was quickley realised that the standard RT40 subframe was designed to use a mid sump, while the 4AGE is a front sump. Fortunatly 20ValveCorona (Will, a user from Toymods) had got halfway though a conversion of his own and decided on another solution. Hence We swapped subframes. he got my stock one with the old 2R, and I got a modified subframe and T-50 gearbox mount. It's a bonus as his sub frame has gab shocks and discs off an RT81

newsubframetp2.jpg

You can clearly see the cutout for the front sump and the new engine mounts. This was installed thismorning.

One of the easier issues to solve was converting to a manual pedal box, as there was no way I was going to let this new 4AG powered beast be auto. To read about how easy it is look here

Just the other day my Wiseco 82mm Pistons. They are rated at 11.8:1 static, but with the 1mm TODA head gasket (WHEN IT SHOWS UP) will yield just over 12:1. Thus this car will be 98octance only. The block came back form the engine shop on Friday and looks a treat. had it bored 1mm (to accomodate the new Pistons) and decket to ensure proper sealing with the MLS head gasket.

cylinderblockrg0.jpg

In order to control ignition correctly a Megajolt lite has been purchased and built, along with a Ford EDIS kit.

Lastly for this update is the radical modification I have done to the rear suspension (a little too radical in my eyes.) To read all about it look here but to show you the reslut:

hecticru0.jpg

Other stuff I've got that's ready to go

New Exedy HD clutch

High Volume, low Pressure electric fuel pump

Gates Timing belt

Things left to do

Get the Tail shaf cut and shut

Do something about the rear suspension + buy new dampers

New front srpings

new Front Brake Pads

Strap motor together and tuner

Probably a wheel alignment

Cut a monster burnout
:/

Enjoy Jordan

Edited by Jordan

• 5 weeks later...

Any more updates Jordan? I am also currently doing a 4age conversion into an RT40 Corona. Mine will be a turbocharged 4age using a 4a-gze bottom end, supra gearbox, nite-parts bellhousing and either a ford 9inch or hilux diff. Do you have any more info on the subframe modifications required to fit the 4age? more photos, etc?

I purchased my RT40 from a mate who had it sitting in his backyard, minimal rust, and the 2R still purrs nicely! 4 speed coloumn shift.......

Building it as a weekend-er and occasional drag car.

Good luck with your build, it is good to see others doing the same conversion.

Cheers,

Dan

• 8 months later...

I've decided to go in a different direction with this car and just bought a new engine for the old girl.

p7040046ou0.jpg

it's a 4A-GE 20V, running 45mm slide carburetors, stainless extractors and waste spark electronic ignition. All the RWD conversion stuff has been done and comes with a TODA clutch and flywheel package.

p7040047co7.jpg

Should make the old girl get up and go.

Cheers

Jordan

Edited by Jordan

I'm rather confident that it'll be unique, as I've never seen a 20V on carbies before, let alone slide carbies.

I'm always on the lookout for RT40 parts, especially bumpers, hub caps, dash pad, pannels. let me know what you've got and in what condition. email is: [email protected]

Cheers

Jordan

Edited by Jordan

hey mate nice ride ay,

just wondering what these lil beast go for $$$$ ???

as my mate picked one up not that long ago for 400 buks, runs fine, in pretty good condition, its white with minor rust and original red interior!

looks the smeg!

cheers, haydn.

i think i love you :D twin carbs ftw

i went back and found this thread a few weeks back, i was thinkin of puttin a 4age in my rt40 n i wanted to see how much work was involved.

20v is gonna be awesome!!!

Edited by h1_roll4