Howdy From Nz

irokin

Hey everyone, thought I'd say hello before checking the rest of the board.

Here I am in sunny(ish) New Zealand...

Drove through Athurs pass today...

We're driving a turbo diesel VW somethingorother camper van WITH!! get this... a FMIC! So when we stopped in the snow I stuffed it full of snow (mmm cold intake temperatures)

I LOVE Christchurch. So much Id consider moving here!! flat as a tac, heaps of nice cars (HEAPS of toyotas) and within reach of very very nice twisties...

Few corollas over here...heaps of starlets (not too many KP61s...but I have seen a few around) lots of GT starlets (they have such a cool intercooler scoop).

Fuel over here is very expensive (111.9c/L for 91 octane unleaded) but diesel is very cheap (65.9c/L) and isnt taxed for locals...which explains some unexpected sightings...like...a KE70 DIESEL WAGON!!!!...I have photos...of all kinds of cars...

hrmm....what else...

oh a Supercharged corolla...few other weird and wonderful things (like different names on cars (i.e. torago, camry etc)

I'll post up some pics when I find a computer I can use to do so....

Catchyas all later on...

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

including me :dry: ....:)

Yeah i have been to NZ like 4 times aswell and Christchurch is usually where we stay as i have relative over there. Go to Wanaka, its a awesome little alpine village type thing surounded by snow capped mountains.. :)

Hey again...

down in wanaka....and its cold...very cold!!!

I'm gonna have to get to an internet cafe (rather than just a sealed box with a coin slot) and upload some photos....rest assured theres plenty of them....around 360ish on the last CD...and another full 256mb card and half a 128mb card now....

Found out the van/bus/thing has an interesting method to overcome single spinning... It detects one wheel is spinning and applys the brakes to that one wheel....kind of acts like an LSD but MUCH more active...

Mumblezzz would love driving up and down the west coast....heaps of twisties with lots of grit/ice all over the road.

Nelson? hrmm gonna have to have a look on the map...nothing is really planned on this trip so far...we're just winging it at the moment so going up there probably isnt out of the question....well see

Photos coming...I promise!!!!

Oh just a guage on how cold it is...last night in Franz Joseph (yea we stayed near the glacier and walked on fox glacier yesterday...got pics of my brother licking the ice....hahhaa)

anyway it was -3 overnight....and at 3pm thisafternoon coming over haast(sp?) pass there was still frost on the grass... so yea...its cold...

I can step out the cabin doorstep and look at snow covered mountains...and have been able to at every place we've stayed (Even in Christchurch)

this is the subtropics, it's not sposed to go below 20c! :)

Funny you should mention that....we were walking through the rainforest up to the glacier and the guide mentioned that it was "temperate" rainforest...don't see how that works...

I now want a Toyota Carib...saw one today riding on 15 or 16" rims....looked damn sexy...AWD too....and better still I think it runs a 3S-GE or similar...Importing one soon :)

haha

the caribs are corolla based, so the one you want would be the z touring or simaler... blacktop 20v with 6 spd :dance:

or auto :dry:

but the 4wd ones arent avail with the 20v

the caldinas are on the same platform as the coronas, can get those with the 3sgte :) and they are 4wd

my mates got one, tiptronic, very good touring car