Stop Lamps Not Working

rjenman

stop lamps aren't working in my KE70!

i've checked all 3 fuse boxes and the bulbs are fine. Would anyone know what coudl be wrong?

Reversing lamps don't work either but i'm assuming thats not related...

would anyone be able to point me in the right direction?

Members dont see this ad

get a multi meter or a test lamp.

take out the brake light globe.

get someone to press the brake and see if your getting 12v down the line.

check your brake switch which should be mounted near the brake pedal and make sure its closing the ciurcut properly. you should be getting a constand 12 volts to the switch i believe.

get multi meter and check you have a connectoin from the brake switch to the brake light.

also check to make sure that the brake switch hasnt tightened itself into its little mount to the point it never opens.

i can almost garentee this will sort out the problem for you.

I had the same problem with my stop lamps a while back. Turned out the reason they weren't working is cause of a loom that was unplugged by the brake peddle. Once i plugged it back in the lights worked, but wouldn't extinguish.

Turned out my problem was the switch that rests against the brake peddle. I was cheap and ended up pulling the switch appart and putting it back together. Now it works.

Hope this helps, but doubt it will.

stop lamps aren't working in my KE70!

Reversing lamps don't work either but i'm assuming thats not related...

what about indicators?

I haven't looked to make sure, but there's a good chance that all the tail lights share a common ground .... or a common power.

Either way, if that's shashed you'll see this kind of thing.

Either way, first thing to do is to see whether you're getting power at the lights.

Second is to check they are earthing.

If either is not true, you need to start tracing back to find the cause.

cheers,

Slapper

just had a quick look at the wiring diagram (slow day at the office!)

12V comes to the brake light switch after the fuse. From there to the brake lights - so check that you're getting 12V at the brake lights when you tromp the pedal. From there, the lights go to a ground somewhere - if you're getting 12V, try shorting lamp body to metal somewhere on the body to check whether you've got a dodgey ground..

I can't find reversing lights on the damn diagram, so I can't tell whether they share a common ground with the brake lights.

However ... looks like the number plate light, tail lights and indicators do ... so a dodgey earth would probably take them out as well.

If this looks like the case, try cleaning the connector in the loom .... otherwise, just run a new wire from one of the lamp bodies to the chassis.

Edited by slapper

if you suspect the switch is dodgey, bend up a paper clip and shove them in the terminals of the brake pedal switch. the lights should be on constantly. if not the problem is elsewhere.

also works on reverse light switches.

but yeah whateveryone else said. get a test light and start checking power, and work back from the taillights. also don't just connect the test lights earth to the nearest piece of metal.. try connecting earth to the brakes earth aswell. you may well find its an earthing problem, not a power problem. both are as common as eachother.