New Qld Licence Rules From July 2007

Trendact

Found this on another forum, sounds similar to the NSW system. ACT kids can now get L's at 15yrs 9 months.

New QLD Licence rules from July 2007

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now how will this effect newcomers to rallying?

The main changes to the system coming into effect in July 2007 are:

* lowering the minimum learner age to 16 and extending the licence period

to 12 months

* Gaining 100 hours of certified supervised on-road driving

experience for learners under 25s

* Rrestricting all mobile phone use, including hands-free, blue-tooth accessories, and loud-speaker functions, for learner and P1 provisional licence holders under 25

* Rrestricting mobile loud-speaker functions for supervisors and passengers of learner and P1 provisional licence holders under 25 while under instruction

motorbike learners will be required to hold a car provisional licence for 12 months prior to gaining a motorbike learner licence

* Introduction of a two-phased P1 and P2 provisional licence system

compulsory L plates (a black L on a yellow background) and P plates (a red plate for P1 and green plate for P2)

peer passenger restrictions (only carrying one passenger aged under 21) from 11pm to 5am for P1 under 25

* High-powered vehicle restrictions for provisional drivers under 25

after 12 months on P1, licence holders must pass a hazard perception test to progress to P2

late night driving and other restrictions for disqualified and suspended young drivers

Queensland transport says that too many young people are dying on Queensland roads, with 17-24 year olds one of the most at-risk groups. In 2005 just 13 per cent of our drivers were young people, and yet 32 per cent of our road toll 106 fatalities came as a result of young driver crashes. This statistic is being used by QLD Transport to push down these new and extreme laws.

Queensland Transport and Main Roads Minister Paul Lucas said opposition to the “tough new line†was expected.

“We realise some of these changes won't please everyone, particularly young people, but their lives are at stake and we have had to make hard decisions,†Mr Lucas said.

No mention of any training...............

Members dont see this ad
However, education is still the key.

Amen to that. But oh dear that would cost money! We can't have a solution that would cost money. Perhaps they should spend speed camera revenue on TRAINING and EDUCATION instead of building dangerously placed roadside barriers with that money.

Why don't they lower the minimum driving age in WA? Makes sense, more time to learn before the 'big 17' when you get your P's...

I still don't get it how they're trying to stop us from driving between 12-6am here... it would be a terrible inconvience, particularly the hour or so before 6am...

Driver education is still the key, they've taken the open limits away from Territorians, they've taken away P-Platers rights, they've put up a nazi crusade.. but people are still dying at record rates... and they don't realise that..

"Starting your car, 12 demerit points and $10,000 fine"

Well, actually, 18 year olds are dying at record rates. Especially 18 year old males, who on average are almost 4 times more likely to die on our roads than their female counterparts......

Oh, I could go on for hours. A number of mining companies in rural Qld are now putting in place driver training programs in "their" town's schools. I've done a few of these and are trmendously worthwhile. The program is hopefully going to be enlarged this year, too.

Edited by Redwarf

I'd actually enjoy going to school for a change if I knew there was a driver education program happening..

I, and I presume a shitload of others, don't have an issue with participating in driver education, but its not available to us - go figure...

I, and I presume a shitload of others, don't have an issue with participating in driver education, but its not available to us - go figure...

I would deffinatly be up for a driver training coarse but i just don't have the money or a car or a licence at the moment.

the question is are the new laws retro-spective?

if so I'm up the proverbial creek with a biodegradeable paddle :)

and in any case, even if i have to put a sticker on my car to say I'm a P plater and have restrictions at night, ill still give the car a hard flog at given opportunites. and so will most young drivers, one day we will grow up. but until then, we will continue to learn :D

Yep no retro and another thank f@$king god for that *sigh*

I though there was going to be a max passenger rule? I though that would stop more accident, as i know countless time a fully loaded car with mates egging driver / drive showing off.

The only one which i can see really kinda making a differance is high powered cars, although any car can go over 100km....

I like the 100hr log book, i don't think i even had 30 when i got mine if that :D

Edited by Jason