Brake Upgrade For Ke20

YKE 20T

Hi all. Been looking all over the internet for any concrete information about brake upgrades for early model corolla`s. i am the proud owner of a purple KE20 coupe with a ca18det. at the moment the car goes great but the braking capacity leaves more 2 be desired. i am looking for a serious braking solution as i am a member of the act hill climb club and intend 2 take her out and give it a rap. anyway any information would be greatly appreciated.

Ps will post pics in the rides section just need 2 borrow a digital camera.

Members dont see this ad

G'day mate , sound you gonna need some serious braking ? theres a few big brake options

like ths corona strut/ peugeot(spelling) 604 disc/hilux 4 pot caliper combo which i'm about to attempt

or theres a nissan skyline ( r31 i think ) option which i know one of the guys on Toymods is doing at the moment

I think your best bet is to go onto Toymods website and do a search on there , i know for a fact there is a very

comprehensive write up on the peugoet/corona/hilux setup at the moment , i'm going have just try and fail to find out which steering arms to use and how to fit it in properly .

Unfortunatley theres not many easy options for brake upgrades for the KE2# series

Lindsay

like lindsay said. theres a few around, all of them require strut changes, and some lower control arm mods aswell.

the pug/hilux combo requires corona XT130 struts. this is well documented on toymods ( www.toymods.net )

banannaman on toymods is using R31 struts, which apparently needs few mods, and gives ya smallish vented discs and single pot calipers, but later skyline brakes almost? fit straight on.

I'm collecting parts to do a swap using S13 silvia coilovers, which when using R32 hubs also lets you use later skyline brakes aswell (330mm GTR rotors and alloy 4 pots anyone?)

also another thing to consider is what stud pattern you want. R31 and S13 silvia are later RWD corolla pattern, and R32- skylines are falcon stud pattern.

scott (pmp.020) on toymods found an easy swap.. heres a cut an paste of what he did..

MX62 cressida struts n brakes

KE30 steering arms

KE20 springs and strut tops

smallest wheel that can be run is 14" but u can run up to 16" and clear the strut tower

and spring mount with ease. I'm very excited about SUS stopping alil easy now that its gna

have rego on it

cheers scott (PMP020 - TOYMODS)

I'm fairly sure the above swap uses 114.4x4 stud pattern.

anyways, theres food for thought. enjoy

I'm the guy from toymods doing the big brake upgrade on my ke20, i've got it all together now just dummy fitting for coilover length:

pict0179cx6.th.jpg

The pug/corona/hilux setup does not bolt up to a stock ke20 LCA and steering arm, so unless you use cut and shut control arms (illegal) i don't see what good this is.

Heres a copy of the info i recently posted answering a bloke, i'll be doing a full writeup with pics once they're finished.

You can do plenty of brake upgrades on the stock LCA and steering arm, using a variety of struts.

As i've said in many a thread, i'm using R31 struts, R32 280mm discs and 4 piston calipers, and an off the shelf caliper adapter. The option is there to use 296mm and 4 pots, or even the stock R31 250mm. You can even choose between 4 or 5 stud based on hub selection. I will be doing a full writeup on all this in the next couple of weeks if you're patient, mine are almost assembled. Bolts to stock lower control arm / steering arm.

I will indeed be posting pics, thats why i've not done the guide yet. Use whatever coilover kit you want, strut tube diameter is 51mm, so just get a threaded section to suit and have it welded on. I've not worked out spring length yet. I'll probably get my threaded bits from www.nexcentpp.com for $260, there are cheaper on ebay, but no point getting cheapshit.

Caliper adapter is sold by www.datsport.com at a cost of $185 the pair, comes with mounting bolts. You need to tap the caliper mount holes in the strut, and grind off a smidge off the caliper near the mounting tabs, it will then bolt together.

You then use an r32 disc and caliper (280 or 296mm, GTST or GTR respectively). You can use a z31 5 stud hub (as i have), z31 4 stud or s12 4 stud (all PCD 114.3). Note that the hub diameter is different between z31 and s12. Baz at datsport sells discs already modified to suit using the s12 hub, will cost you just as much to have them modified yourself (as i did, because i wanted 5 stud).

Alternatively, you can just use the R31 250mm disc and caliper setup as is.

You'll notice that your ke25 steering arm has locators over the bolts. The R31 strut does not accomodate this, so you will either need to remove the locators at the expense of some shear strength, or do as I'm doing and have the threads in the bottom of the strut drilled out a little to accomodate the locators, if not enough thread is left i'll run a nylock nut on top.

Seems like alot of people are asking this lately, i'll start sorting the writeup soon.

I'm in the process of putting a CA18DET in my ke20 also, i'm happy to trade brake info for shots of your engine and box mounts :)

this S13 coil over conversion sounds like the goods. i havent spared 2 much expense yet and don't really want 2 on perhaps the most important aspect of the car. bananaman have you got 2 thinking about brake boosters or anything like that? also what cost have u incurred for parts allready. price isnt that much of an issue i just would like 2 know before i start. i would be happy to trade any pics or info you need for any info on your conversion. i just have to get a digi camera and i will be in buisness. :)

this S13 coil over conversion sounds like the goods. i havent spared 2 much expense yet and don't really want 2 on perhaps the most important aspect of the car. bananaman have you got 2 thinking about brake boosters or anything like that? also what cost have u incurred for parts allready. price isnt that much of an issue i just would like 2 know before i start. i would be happy to trade any pics or info you need for any info on your conversion. i just have to get a digi camera and i will be in buisness. :)

I'm not sure i see how the s13 setup could work without massive amounts of fabrication? I've been thinking about brake boosters yes, but haven't yet decided on a solution. I'd prefer to run one on the firewall, but then theres the issue of clearance.. I'm happy to offer what i can regardless, but pics of a conversion already completed would be great :P

What is to be gained by using an s13 setup rather than just using sleeves on a normal strut anyway? The extra you'd spend on getting it to work would be well and truly outweighed by any tiny ass saving on coilovers

Expenses.. mine has been considerably more thanks to using 5 stud hubs, you'd save alot of machine time using s12 4 stud hubs. I was also lazy and didn't assemble it myself, could have die grinded calipers etc myself but didn't

discs.. $180

Calipers - $250?

Fabrication work, redrill discs, bore out hub size, tap caliper holes into strut, take bit off calipers, machine down hubs so i can run old ford steelies, etc etc etc - $500 :/

Z31 5 stud hubs - $200 :/ (s12 would be MUCH cheaper, and like i said less fabrication due to slight differences)

R31 struts - $60 both sides

Coilover threaded sleeves etc = $260

Bearings - ~$40 both sides inc seals, holden trailer bearing

Springs = $?

Shocks = $?

ed: Also got camber plates, they were $240ish?

Edited by bananaman

I'm not sure i see how the s13 setup could work without massive amounts of fabrication? I've been thinking about brake boosters yes, but haven't yet decided on a solution. I'd prefer to run one on the firewall, but then theres the issue of clearance.. I'm happy to offer what i can regardless, but pics of a conversion already completed would be great :)

What is to be gained by using an s13 setup rather than just using sleeves on a normal strut anyway? The extra you'd spend on getting it to work would be well and truly outweighed by any tiny ass saving on coilovers

Expenses.. mine has been considerably more thanks to using 5 stud hubs, you'd save alot of machine time using s12 4 stud hubs. I was also lazy and didn't assemble it myself, could have die grinded calipers etc myself but didn't

discs.. $180

Calipers - $250?

Fabrication work, redrill discs, bore out hub size, tap caliper holes into strut, take bit off calipers, machine down hubs so i can run old ford steelies, etc etc etc - $500 :/

Z31 5 stud hubs - $200 :/ (s12 would be MUCH cheaper, and like i said less fabrication due to slight differences)

R31 struts - $60 both sides

Coilover threaded sleeves etc = $260

Bearings - ~$40 both sides inc seals, holden trailer bearing

Springs = $?

Shocks = $?

ed: Also got camber plates, they were $240ish?

very valid point it would be cheaper and easier to use r31 struts. i am running a set of 15 inch simmons on the car atm so i guess they will have to go as the pcd will change and propbably need 16`s to fit the brakes, bit of a shame there nice wheels. i would most likely use 280mm disc and gtst 4 spots with s12 hubs and the datsport 280mm discs. thanks for that i will get in touch in the next few days and get u some pics of the engine, engine bay ,mounts for motor gearbox, and anything else.

did they need much modification to fit them Raven?

from pics I've seen the RA60 strut has got a fairly big disc on it , that would brake well i reckon

Haven't fitted it up as of yet due to lack of funds. You'll need to change your brake master cylinder to a bigger bore as well and you can't run anything smaller than a 14 inch rim on them.

Basically, I'm going to attempt to use the KE20 LCA with the RA60 steering knuckle and strut, shorten the strut 40mm, put a 20mm spacer in the bottom of the strut, put some AE92 short stroke struts in, weld on a coil-over sleeve kit and get adjustable camber plates and that should do the trick hopefully.

That upgrades the front brakes from 200mm Solid Discs to 258mm Vented Discs.

For the rear I'm gonna shorten some KE30 axles for now, and put KE55 drums on which will upgrade the rear drums from 200mm to 228mm until I get a decent diff sorted out.

Edited by Raven

• 2 years later...
bumping up an old thread because its now time for me to upgrade my front suspeion/brake set-up

i 2nd that has any one done any thing that just bolts in with out cutting things like struts or rose buding there lca's (cos of posative camber)?

i heard people swap there ke20 brakes for ke30 rotors/calipers but probably wouldnt make much difference' ?

also does any one know of a bigger master cylinders to use with out them ramming in to the inlet manifold(4age in ke20) ?

any help much apreciated cheers.... :y:

• 9 months later...
i 2nd that has any one done any thing that just bolts in with out cutting things like struts or rose buding there lca's (cos of posative camber)?

i heard people swap there ke20 brakes for ke30 rotors/calipers but probably wouldnt make much difference' ?

also does any one know of a bigger master cylinders to use with out them ramming in to the inlet manifold(4age in ke20) ?

any help much apreciated cheers.... :blinks:

I know this is an old thread, but if your not making heaps of power you can use, ke70 rotors with ke55 backing plates and calipers if you want a bit of an upgrade.