Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

rollaclub.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Sluggish Starter Motor

Featured Replies

I've just put in a 5K, and sometimes when I start it up, the starter motor sounds a bit sluggish, like the battery is a bit flat.

 

I've just got a new battery. I've check and tighten the wires to the starter motor.

The alternator seems to be working OK; with the engine running, the volt meter reads 14.1 V, across the terminals.

I've put in another starter motor, but it still occasionally sounds sluggish.

 

The 4K use to start up without any hesitation before.

Any ideas?

Brushes in the starter are possibly worn down on both starters..

 

Get an auto electrician to pull it down and have a look or you could pull it down yourself if you can figure out how to pull them apart..

maybe the battery cables are a bit shagged. while you've got the multimeter fired up, check voltage at the battery when cranking, and then check the voltage at the starter when cranking. there should be minimal difference.

 

if thats all ok its a fair bit its the starter or something engine wise.

 

hows the timing?

Check your earth straps are connected, just found this problem 2 days after changing the gearbox in my SSS pulsar

  • Author

Checked the wiring, and it seems to be OK. Replaced some old connections.

Timing is OK.

I took apart my original starter motor, and the brushes were worn down, but there still seems to be sufficient contact on the commutator.

The armature seems fine, and the commutator is clean with not much wear. Checked the continuity with the multimeter.

 

The starter motor works well in the mornings, or when I have not driven the car for a while.

I notice that the starter motor is sluggish after I have been for a drive, and let the engine cool down for a little bit. For example, going for a 10-15min drive, then stopping off into the shop, then starting it up again to be sluggish. If I stop the car again, then start it straight away, it fires up with no problems.

 

I've just fitted extractors, which comes to within 1/2 inch of the starter motor. I think thats got something to do with it; giving off a fair bit of heat. Probably something to do with the brushes sticking on the cool down, with their short length, and their springs not having enough tension.

 

Has anyone soldered in new brushes before? Is a heavy duty soldering iron needed?

Might be a good idea to make up a small heat shield for the starter motor aswell, they come stock on KE7X ;)

^^^^^ Yep, Sounds exactly like heat loss/resistance (voltage drop), Also try puttin a relay on if you already havn't (Can't see it noted) as it will sometimes fix the problem.

  • Author

I pulled the main lead off the distributor and started up the car when it was warm, to see if it made any difference, and it wasn't sluggish.

So actually it was the timing after all :jamie:

It must of been advanced; my mate adjusted the timing by ear :lol:

I got a timing light at super cheap for $20, and set it 8-10 degrees BTDC.

It doesn't have the sluggish starts anymore, the engine runs smoother, and it idles better :wink:

Edited by bruce

my 4k in my ke70 does the exact same thing but always will start fine..

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.