Wheel And Tyre Choices

I'm having a little trouble with some knowledge on wheel and tyre choices for my KE10 (still 110pcd). Since buying my KE10 i've been looking for hubcaps and wheels to suit my car.

I have found an immaculate set of 5 never fitted RT40 hubcaps and planned to fit them on a set of mazda 13' steelies i have also acquired. Problem is that the hubcaps are the small inner ring type and mazda must have decided to go with some weird sized inner lugs cause they wont fit.

Next i found a set of 15' mazda van rims (the rotor/mazda boys love), as pictured. My drama with these is that i've been told white walls will be basically impossible to fit. Having just looked through a few tyre sites i have figured the general 15' sizes are, P185/70R15, P175/75R15, P155/75R15. Can anyone give me some thoughts on weather those profiles will be too large for my 10 on a 15' rim?

Somebody on here once mentioned to me that if wanted to fit my hubcaps to the RT40 wheels they came off to get some and have them redrilled. Is that a safe and accepted process?

Also if anyone can give me some tyre sites selling white walls that would be appreciated.

Any feedback is most welcome...

Edited by mattress

Members dont see this ad

Whats the original tyre size on an original ke10?

I'm running 195/50 R15 on my KE30. These are the closest and safest size to keep the speedo accurate for 165/75 R13 original tyres. You can go 205/50 R15 tyres, but the speedo will read 1mph too slow (not really anything to worry about).

Miata

I'm not terribly interested in the speedo being out as i can either have my speedo calibrated or compensate in my head. Really i'm just after some real world experience if the above mentioned white wall 15' sizes would fit, some white wall dealers or some info on redrilling rims....

I'd steer clear of larger diameter tyres, or they will scrub on the inner wheel well when turning tightly on a ke10.

Maybe have a look at some Hankook Centum K702's. They are available in whitewalls. Link here.

You could always sell your rt40 hubcaps and find some others to fit your rims.

Croc - PM'd

Felix - Can you tell me if that whole list is available in a whitewall? Maybe the 185/65R15T would be a goer but i guess i wont know till i fit them, unless of course somebody has already done it. The wrecker had a van with the same rims in a 14' and my mate has a van at work with the same 14' rims. Maybe the 14's would be a better choice.

Ahh just saw the last column 'side wall' i imagine 'b' is for black and 'w' for white....ohh well....

I think the original tyres were something like a 155/80R12. Watch your overall diameter, it will affect speedo readings, gearing, ride height, and also legality.

Something like a 185/65R15 would be nearly 3 inches larger in diameter, raise your car 1 1/2 inches, throw your gearing out by 12%, and most likely scrub your inner guards badly on tight turns.

Here is a link to a Tyre Selection Calculator. You need Excel to use it.