'the Tick'

mikeys toy

So named because of the dozen or so little f@$kers Kristy had to pick off of me.

It's a 1962 DODGE Sweptline D200 3/4 ton longbed pickup. I got this because.......;

a) I have always loved the lines of the Sweptline Dodges ('61-'71),

b) The B3000 is too light for all the towing I do,

c) Kristy and I will be moving to Washinton state in a year or so and the B3000 is WAY too light to pull the cars, moving trailer and assorted bullshit the 2,000 miles.

So here it is. It looks as if someone did all the bodywork, put it in primer and junked it. It's been sitting since '92 in my buddy's pasture on rims UNDER the drums. Kristy and I went out there yesterday, put a set of tires on it fired it up after sitting 12 YEARS and tried to drive it.

The clutch reservoir was full of ATF hence why I could not get it to pump up. The front wheels were stuck, and it wouldn't run after I hooked up the gas tank line and put gas in it.

Why? Line is plugged.

So, disgusted by the 4 hours of hard labor (you try removing and reinstalling 64 lugnuts!) AND by all the little bloodsucking vermin crawling on me, we left.

TODAY:

I borrowed Jim's '74 F250 junkyard dog and pulled it out after soaking my levis in OFF. (Didn't work, they still sought me out.) Got it out to the dirt road and noticed the right rear wheel was stuck as well as the two fronts. Dragged it to the asphalt and it still wouldn't break loose. lowered the truck and rocked it back and forth.....STILL wouldn't break loose! spent 3 HOURS beating on the drum, trying to loosen the star adjuster, trying to remove the hub, all to no avail. Gave up.

Spent the next two hours breaking the front adjusters loose, removing the outer bearings and dragging it. I had to raise the truck again and pry the drum from the backing plate, then pry the shoes from the drum. after I got it all apart, I could see a line of silt halfway up the backing plate. The ground must have flooded sometime.

So I dropped it, hooked up from the rear and towed it back to town.

A mile later, I heard a terrible noise like that of a flat tire or worse, a wheel coming off. I STOPPED right in the middle of the road.

Sure enough, the right rear wheel of the Ford had come off. Upon close inspection, there were only 4 out of the 8 nuts on, and now those studs were broken off. I robbed nuts from the other wheels and hoped for the best.

Got the whore home and headed for Jim's house only to have the truck die halfway between my house and his.....outta gas. Do I walk home and bug Kristy after telling her this excursion would only take 2 hours and now I'm into hour seven, or walk to Jim's and beg for gas after borrowing his truck.

I went to Jim's

The half gallon of gas wasn't enough to get it to fire, so I called kristy to come get me.

Oh ya, today was Memorial Day.........

Members dont see this ad

Its a speed restrictor... if that battleship was able to get up to any sort of speed it'd be dangerous... it probably weighs as much as a block of flats and handles just as well...

Aaaah but then again, this was built around the time the interstate freeways were being built thereby eliminating the need to turn those pesky corners all the time...

I dunno......this thing has like 13" drums on it.

The misus won't be joining me on any more farm excursions after finding a little critter in her scalp.

It has front and rear swaybars as well as 2ton rear springs, I think it will handle well......

BTW; that is a single throat 2bbl stromberg.......absolute shit. It will be replaced with a carter.

It will be up and running tomorrow, while Daisy's getting another muffler. I'm not planing on restoring this, just half ass fixing of the floors, fast dry acrylic enamel white paintjob (maybe with a roller) and all NEW BRAKES!!!