Welded Diff's In Ke70s

ke70_sa

hi i got a Ke70 as you would probably all gather

i was thinking about welding my diff but i don't know if its that great a decision, but its cheap and effective.

just wanted to know if:

1. any of you guys have had big issues with welded diff's

2. what alternatives are they, and if so, how much...and if you could I'm from blackwood area so anybody with parts :sob:

3. my cars a daily, so would be a smart choice to weld the diff on my daily?

ill get pic's of it soon and put them up on the 'drivers rides' section to give you guys a look, although you all would be busy with your own beasts haha.

LONG LIVE THE 4-K

Members dont see this ad

i was thinking about welding my diff but i don't know if its that great a decision, but its cheap and effective.

just wanted to know if:

2. what alternatives are they, and if so, how much...and if you could I'm from blackwood area so anybody with parts :sob:

ill get pic's of it soon and put them up on the 'drivers rides' section to give you guys a look, although you all would be busy with your own beasts haha.

LONG LIVE THE 4-K

Had a weldy in my car for a few days! Didn't like it! It was my daily and made parking a bitch, also scared the shit out of me when it rained! i must admit it did make it easier to hang out the ass end tho!

If you want to skid the car, lock the diff, and you wont regret it.. if you want a smooth daily car, keep it open... simple... ive always had lockers in my daily driven ke70';s, good fun on gravel and in da wet... the other options are all too expensive and involve replacing the entire diff and tailshaft to accomodate the T series with a 2 way or lsd centre... NOT worth it unless you have a good motor, not the shitty old 4k or 4ac....... a mad upgrade in the ke70 is changing to the auto ke70 diff as it has the 4:3 ratio, Great acceleration... what colour is your ke man, i have that red CA18det one in blackwood too....

hope this helps

just wanted to know if:

LONG LIVE THE 4-K

Haven't had in a 70, although had them in others.

1) Not kind on axles.

2) LSD or Phantom Grip diffs. There was a thread on it not long ago.

3) I would never have one in a daily. They're alright when it's dry, but driving with one in the wet is a whole new ball game. They're also illegal. Therefore that will also negate any insurance you have when you understeer into something when you run out of talent in the wet.

1) Not kind on axles.

2) LSD or Phantom Grip diffs. There was a thread on it not long ago.

3) I would never have one in a daily. They're alright when it's dry, but driving with one in the wet is a whole new ball game. They're also illegal. Therefore that will also negate any insurance you have when you understeer into something when you run out of talent in the wet.

Also look at having a few spare centres on hand for when one goes bang. I average one every 2 years in my club car that is only driven once a month.

cheers fellas.

my ke70's yellow with shitty csa rims on it at the moment, 3 inch dumper exhaust, down-draft webber.

I'm getting 13 inch centrelines for it soon though with a bit of dish and also getting new springs this weekend. Vote 1 for U-pull-it hahaha. (reply to Paulie)

cheers coln72, if you needed to replace it that much that sounds like a bit of a problem but if i can get a few spare centre's i'll do it anyway, a mate down at lonsdale locks them cheap and they have all never had troubles like that but knowing my luck, i'll find myself in a worst case scenario.

if i was to get one for the winter i would just have to be careful i suppose, the only problem is i don't want to not be used to a locker and start straefing something chronic and fack my car....seeing it IS a daily, and i don't really have anything else to drive.

IF i was to do it, i think i should just make sure that i have a spare so i can change back without hassles.

Oh and Paulie, i bought a bosskit off of you a little while ago up near the rec. centre / servo. & a mate of benny from Wests

i might also look at getting the auto diff :sob:

cheers

cheers fellas.

my ke70's yellow with shitty csa rims on it at the moment, 3 inch dumper exhaust, down-draft webber.

I'm getting 13 inch centrelines for it soon though with a bit of dish and also getting new springs this weekend. Vote 1 for U-pull-it hahaha. (reply to Paulie)

cheers coln72, if you needed to replace it that much that sounds like a bit of a problem but if i can get a few spare centre's i'll do it anyway, a mate down at lonsdale locks them cheap and they have all never had troubles like that but knowing my luck, i'll find myself in a worst case scenario.

if i was to get one for the winter i would just have to be careful i suppose, the only problem is i don't want to not be used to a locker and start straefing something chronic and fack my car....seeing it IS a daily, and i don't really have anything else to drive.

IF i was to do it, i think i should just make sure that i have a spare so i can change back without hassles.

Oh and Paulie, i bought a bosskit off of you a little while ago up near the rec. centre / servo. & a mate of benny from Wests

i might also look at getting the auto diff :sob:

cheers

I wouldn't do it for a daily. I'm sure with exhaust and weber you draw enough attention, without having a car that chirps when you go around low speed corners. High speed corners are also a little scarey and they are pretty unreliable. Too much trouble I think, especially for a car that probably isn't producing crazy power levels.

Mike

SIMPLE! if you want to do skids, LOCK THE DIFF!!!!!! if you DO NOT want to skid, keep it an open diff...

to all the people that think it is dangerous and not worth the trouble in the under powered car. :sob:

goddamn it, lockers make any underpowered rwd car a barrel of laughs and a shit load of fun! a locker will teach you to drive like a real man :hmm: not some fwd open wheeled faggot!!

SIMPLE! if you want to do skids, LOCK THE DIFF!!!!!! if you DO NOT want to skid, keep it an open diff...

to all the people that think it is dangerous and not worth the trouble in the under powered car. :hmm:

goddamn it, lockers make any underpowered rwd car a barrel of laughs and a shit load of fun! a locker will teach you to drive like a real man :dance: not some fwd open wheeled faggot!!

:sob:

to all the people that think it is dangerous and not worth the trouble in the under powered car. :bash:

goddamn it, lockers make any underpowered rwd car a barrel of laughs and a shit load of fun! a locker will teach you to drive like a real man :cool: not some fwd open wheeled faggot!!

realistically

-dangerous? yes!

-unreliable? yes!

-illegal? yes!

-flogges out tyres and suspension components? yes!

-costs you money? yes!

don't get me wrong, they are a whole lot of fun but driving in every day traffic with one in is dangerous, for arguement sake your driving when its raining, take a corner normally, rear end slides out unexpectedly, up a kerb, cleans up a person, stuck with the situation for the rest of your life. it may not happen to most people but it has happened!

but its entirely up to ke70_sa if he wants to do it! :y:

The open wheeler

costs you money... NO

reliable...yes

Boring..fark yes

DANGEROUS!... yes in any car with remote power!!

sorry but i have strong views on open wheeled diffs, they are junk!!

Honestly i find it more dangerous driving my ca18det ke70 with an open wheeler as it is unpredictable and you have no control over the back end with throttle, its all loose as steering!!!

So long story short.

Pro's:

You get a more predictable slide.

All the hektic drifters will think your uber cool.

Con's:

Stress on drive line.

Tire wear.

Defectable

Insurance wont cover you if they know you have it and will most likely find out if you smash the car and try and make a claim.

If your trying to lay low ie not attract attention to yourself a locker will not help a single bit.

Lock it at your own risk, We will let you make up your own mind.

Des :bash: