Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

rollaclub.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Premix In Engine...

Featured Replies

Well, last night I ran out of fuel about 100metres away from a mates place, so I went to see him to see if he had any spare jerry cans of fuel laying around. Anyway, he gave me a little can and said that it was regular unleaded. Under the assumption that it was, I put about 3 litres of it into the tank which was all i needed to get to the servo. Unfortunatley I realised as soon as the car started that it wasnt just regular unleaded, so I said to him "You sure this is Unleaded?" to which he replied, "Oh wait, I think that is the 2stroke premix for the wipper-snipper...." :y: . I managed to get to the servo where I put about 10L of unleaded into the car, hoping that it would dilute the premix and make it pass through the engine easier. Well, I got the car home and I went for a 15minute drive this morning but the car is still running like crap so obviously the premix isn't going though very well. It just runs rediculously rough anywhere under 3000RPM, jerking all over the shop, and there is smoke and oil coming from the PCV valve to a catch can I rigged up. I adjusted the idle mixture on the carb to lean it out abit, but it had little to no affect. I've read that the 2stroke mix shouldn't cause any problems, but the way that the car is running at the moment, it is putting some doubt in my mind.

 

My question is: What is the best thing to do in this situation? Drain the fuel tank and carbie from all the contaminated fuel then clean the carbie and plugs etc or just keep driving and top it up with unleaded and just burn the premix out?

 

 

If anyone has any advice, feel free to post :) Moral to my story, DON'T TRUST YOUR FRIENDS!

 

-Alex

just fill your tank right up? should dilute it rightout.

lol! I'm sure we have all tried this at some stage, when stupid me put 2 stroke through my engine, it ran fine, just blew a bit of smoke, only thing that happened to my engine was that the oil in the fuel clogged up the idle jet in the carby, nothing that carby cleaner couldnt fix :y: ! In your post you say smoke? and oil? are coming from your pc valve? either the pc valve isnt operating as it should(pc valve needs to be connected to a vacuum source, not your catch can)or your rings are on their way out? your engine could be building up pressure? checked your oil breathers for blockages? and as for your engine running rough..............it could be anything co-incidental?(is that how you spell it?).

 

cheers, phatke30!

Edited by phatke30

  • Author

Ok, thanks for all your input guys. I think "Just flog the bejesus out of it until you run it dry... it'll fix itself up." sounds like my favourite option, I'm in the mood for having a heavy right foot. I'll run it dry then clean out everything to be safe.

 

only thing that happened to my engine was that the oil in the fuel clogged up the idle jet in the carby

 

Mmmm, that could be one of the problems for its rough idle then. Seems to run fine over 3000RPM but anything under that is terribad. I think that the idle jet controls fuel for anything under that mark (so I've heard) so I'll clean the jet and see if that helps.

 

Thanks for the fast replys, I'll see what happens after a good ol' flogging :y:

 

-Alex

  • Author

20L of petrol and 2hours of tuning later, the car runs perfectly again :P Ran it dry like 7shades suggested, then topped it up with enough fuel to get me to the servo then put 20L of REAL unleaded in it. Got it home and cleaned the carbie out and the plugs, then it was a matter of tune, test drive up the road then repeat until I got a steady idle at about 1100RPM.

 

...or your rings are on their way out? your engine could be building up pressure? checked your oil breathers for blockages? and as for your engine running rough..............it could be anything co-incidental?(is that how you spell it?).

 

Ironically the dramas happened as soon as the engine clocked onto 330 000km so it is quite an old engine (K series so has alot longer to go :y: ) so yes, the rings are badly worn and the whole engine could do with a rebuild. I would have already done a rebuild on the engine by now, but as it is a daily driver, I don't have time to take it off the road. Might just build up a 5K with dad at home on the bench and replace the 4K one day. See what happens... :)

 

Again, thankyou to everyone who replied, very appreciated :) <3 Rollaclub

 

-Alex

Edited by bLinded_

lol send a backhand slap to your friend, complements of rollaclub, or in this case - Rollacrib *evil* :wink: !

  • Author

Hahaha that is a great idea! :wink:

Wait till ya empty a jerry can full of diesel into the tank :wink:

Don't trust what you read either

i did exactly this with the farm yoot on the weekend. used old stale 2 stroke in it. worked suprisingly well. missed under light load, but ran well n smooth apart from that.

 

as others have said, just go through a few tanks of fuel and she'll be apples. if ya wanna get really pedantic throw some fuel system cleaner through it and replace the fuel filter

premix shouldnt affect it like that! maybe it had seperated and the oil wasnt mixed in?

 

back when i was at school my best mate raced go karts, after every meeting any left over fuel would go into his kp60.

avgas with 2 strike oil, it was the worlds fastest kp60 :)

  • Author
premix shouldnt affect it like that! maybe it had seperated and the oil wasnt mixed in?

 

That sounds like it could have been the case. My mate doesn't exactly have much lawn to mow, so the whipper-snipper probably doesnt get used alot, so neither would the spare tin of fuel. Might have seperated from sitting for ages, but can't really be sure. All is sorted now so I'm happy. Just gotta get some smaller jets for the carbie and it'll be even better. :P

 

-Alex

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.