Ca18det Into Ke20?

benzo

Hi another engine conversion I have been contemplating is the CA18DET out of the S13 Silvias. This would go like stink, making an easy 150rwkw with just exhaust, cooler, pod filter. that sort of power in a 900kg car should run easy 12s and be capable of some mad skids.

Whats youy opinions and what mods would be required to fit it and obviously the matching 5 speed box.

Ben.

Members dont see this ad

Anyone know any other mods required for it to fit apart from custom engine and g/box mounts and modified crossmember.

I would obviously need a modified tailshaft as well.

What mods would be required to the fuel system as obviously the CA is fuel injected.

Ben

Bosh 910 (VL Turbro) pressure pump fed from a surge tank, just use an electrice carbie fuel pump to feed the surge tank. Of course need return lines.

Need to mod the radiator in's/outs, also good idea to have it looked over and even have a triple row core stuck in ($450)

Of course there's all the wiring, and other nit bits to work out as well. Upgrades suspension and brakes are basically a must.

Cheers

Jordan

Hen, to put the 13B in your mazda 1300, it would have cost close to if not more than $3000. CA conversions run at a similar budget. and like all piston motors tend to be more reliable, use less fuel and easier to drive off boost (off port.)

Carbie rotars are cool, but there's soo much fiddiling to do it's not funny, how to mount the motor, what to do about the sump, will the gearbox fit in the trans tunnel, oil cooler the list goes on.

Cheers

Jordan

i was just simply baseing it on

extras that rotor doesn't need like

aftermarket computer

somone to do all wiring of ECU

fuel pump- rotor ones are like 60 bucks were as you would need a decent EFI one for CA

cooler

and various other things...

but i mean i have never done one of these (CA18) conversions but have done enough rotary ones... and i can see where your coming from jordy.. with all the fiddly bits with the rotary motors.

just in my personal opinion a rotor would be easier and slightly cheaper... but in both cases it would depend on specifics... :P

Edited by kE20ME

Hen, to put the 13B in your mazda 1300, it would have cost close to if not more than $3000. CA conversions run at a similar budget. and like all piston motors tend to be more reliable, use less fuel and easier to drive off boost (off port.)

Carbie rotars are cool, but there's soo much fiddiling to do it's not funny, how to mount the motor, what to do about the sump, will the gearbox fit in the trans tunnel, oil cooler the list goes on.

Cheers

Jordan

You obviously know nothing about rotary motors buddy :P

to buy a complete series 5 turbo motor cost's between 1500 and 1800 with the matching gearbox costing $500...

these motor easily make 150kw at the wheels on as little as 4psi of boost (with standard top mount cooler). Also as the rotary is a much smaller motor fitting is quite easy into anything...

As for a carby fed rotary, a decompressed (Ex turbo) S5 13b is approximately $1k that is with the fuel injection inlet and crank angle sensor, so i can't see a bare 13b S5 block costing you much more than $800... A manifold with carby to suit is also easy to find as a 12a manifold can be easily modified to fit... the same applies to the distributor however it does not need modifying to fit :yes:

As for the crossmemeber, an RX3 or RX4 crossmember should not be hard to fit into any 70's model corolla as they are around the same wheel base and strut distance (even the same stud pattern for wheels) and they cost around $150-$300.

As for the "fiddley" ANY engine conversion is a VERY fiddley job and should not be entered into with a strict budget in mind because they ALWAYS run over cost...

There is nothing quite like driving a rotary engine as they are amazingly smooth and the only piston motors that can rev as hard as them are 4AGGE/ZE's and RB26's etc and lets face it the more revs you get the more the wheels spin and the faster they spin :D

Though all this in mind i can't see A rotary "budget" conversion costing much more than $2k if you wan2 go carby fed 13b that will be more than capable of a safe 9500rpm and NA around 110kw at the wheels....

If ya need any more help feel free to PM me :y:

If you decide to go with the CA you might as well get an SR20 :lol:

One more thing lol :P

A bosch 910 is not a VL turbo pump jordan :yes:

And it is worth remembering that 35yrs ago the NA 10a (thats a 1ltr rotary) RX3 was running low 16's down the qtr mile factory with an open wheel diff :y:

thats an 800kg car with a motor that had approx 90kw at the wheels :D

And They sound waaaaaay cooler than a piston motor does too!!!!

Hmm, yeah thats pretty much what Ive been thinking.

rotor will have its difficult parts with fitting the engine etc, but may be a lil bit cheaper and can produce 130rwkw plus. the rotor will also require less wiring, piping et.c My mates old FC used an unbelievable amount of fuel, which may be another downer. And yes rotors do sound awesome, not to mention loud lol.

CA will have the same difficulties plus the added problem of cooler, piping, EFi set-up, but will be capable of more power, and will be more drivable being a very lightly tuned (to get 150rwkw) four-cylinder.And also all that torque will be a load on the standard locked diff hey.

Are either of these engines able to be engineered?

Oh and the reason I havent considered an SR is becuase they're just queer, even if they do make more power and torque.

Ben

Edited by benzo