Rolla Help Club ?

TOMsGPTurbo

I was thinking last night in bed, as usual loosing sleep over my cars problems.... that most mechanics have ripped me off, so maybe some club members who know how to DIY on Rolla's can get together and help each other out on weekends and what not..

so.. meet up and help on each others cars... etc.. I know I can use the help and gain experiance in helping others..

I have guy currently from the states who has a extremely worked 2ete who is after my engine for its 1.5ltr capacity so get can go from his current 250hp to 360hp... but he said if shipping is to exy he won't take it... so if he doesn't want it I'm going to rebuild it and get some experiance with engine rebulds..but first I have to save up for some decent tools.

Anyhow... so if anyones interested in helping each other out etc.. don't be shy and reply.

Tom

:)

P.S: I got the idea from the 'celica club' who do what I mentioned above.. help each other out building up their cars .. :blinks:

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, like that.

What I had in mind (well, what we do in the climbing club anyway) is we all get together with all our cars and do whatever work is required on them (as in all the cars get worked on, not just 1). Usually it's just oil changes, maybe some minor tuning, I've painted my brake calipers (twice), built a sub box, helped someone fix a big rust hole in his Gemi, installed a stereo (2 actually), that sort of thing. Usually we do the work we know how to do on our own cars, and where we don't know how to do something hopefully someone else there does and helps us out, and vice versa.

How much noise do you want to make? As long as it's during the day sometime, I can't see any home job fix-up that would make too much noise unless someone comes around with a car that needs the entire roof angle grinded off and a whole rear end panel beaten out. And, in most cases fixing 10 cars vs fixing 1 car doesn't really make any more noise.

It's space that's usually the issue. You'd need someone's house with maybe at least a 2 car port, with lawn space to work on too. The house we used to do it at in Ferny Grove had a 2 car lockup garage (although 1 was usually taken up by his parents car) and a 1 car carport, and enough lawnspace to park 2 cars. This proved to be sufficient enough to work on about 6 or 7 cars (obviously not all at once), as generally someone only needed to do an oil change or something which was fairly quick. Some people even just came round to wash their car.

And no, it actually wasn't the imports that were taking up the most time. It was usually the really old Euro cars. See, you have new cars, and you have old cars. The new cars are generally too complex to do much with them, so we don't do much with them. The old cars, now those ones we can play with. But then you get the old Euros like the Volvos... And geez.

This one time (at bandcamp) we were trying to do a service on this old Volvo that probably hadn't been serviced since 1973, it was enough of an epic looking for parts for it (eventually found a Repco that had the airfilter). Taking off the old air filter, it had completely dissintegrated, and there were leaves, paper bits and gawd-knows-what-else in the box. Next came the oil filter. Due to some stupid design, you had to take the headers off to take the oil filter off, and the bolts were all rusted in so we just swirled new oil in it a couple of times and put the filter back... Dodgy. And the roof on that thing mustave been filled with like something cause the roof got so hot (from the sun) that when we sprayed water on it (to wash the car) it vaporised before it even hit... So we cracked an egg... and it fried :blinks:

this sounds like a heaps cool idea, which would benefit me... since i still don't know a hell of a lot about cars and the fixing thereof...

as for guineapig.. living on rode rd and not having a hell of alot of yard space hinders things :blinks:

but more than willing to rock up and at least 'attempt' to help :)