Cheapest/best Freight Companies?

tas_ae71

hey,

i looked threw the phone book and have called a few companies havnt gotten too far with this.

I'm wanted to freight a largish door from qld to tasmania.

the guy who has the door to send to me called toll shipping and they just arsed him around put him threw to several different people and in the end told him to go else where.

he rang "pack and send", they quoted him $800.... it would be cost about the same to drive up there and pick up his whole shell and trailer it back.

any other ideas people? i do send a shit load of stuff around Aus and over seas but i have always gone threw aus post but this is just too big and heavy for them.

i can get aprox dimensions and weight...

thanks

Members dont see this ad

your best bet is to strap the item on a pallet give them a rough weight and then get qoutes because the shipping companys always prefer stuff on pallets as its easy to load and transport. my friend got a celica 5sp shipped from qld to act for 175 dollars. i think it was through toll.

Tasfrteight Aaron!! :P

Nice and cheap, and very easy to deal with.

They have depots in most capital cities (not tasfreight depots, but use other companies) and their main office is in Murphy St.

If you can get the seller to drop it off at the depot, and you pick it up, you'll get a flat rate for size, qld will probably be $114.

If the item needs to be collected from the seller, they'l use an on-forwarder and charge you for it. say $60 extra.

Couriers please are far and aware the cheapest on interstate freight. Only problem is you need to buy several pre-paid tickets at a time...

But, provided your door is no more than 1.8m long and less than 25kg, then from tassie shouldn't cost you any more than $40.

[Edit] Actually just noticed the door needs to go from Brisbane to Tassie. I can supply the tickets at cost price, rather than buying a whole book of tickets if that helps. I'm on the Northside of Brissie at Brendale.

Edited by gslrallysport

thanks gslrallysport, but the door is over 25kg so thats out of the question..?

i don't mind putting it on a pallet, just need someone to move it for me, i don't mind him getting to depo's and me picking it up.

air freight sounds expensive.

i don't know that greyhound go to tassie or they would have to have it handled threw a local company so dobble handling it will bump the price up considerably.

tasfreight is an option... probaly the best one atm, i remember a mate asking about getting a motor put on a crate and having is sent from Melbourne, wasn't too expensive.

The 2 times I have used them so far:

5k (on 50cmx50cm pallet) from rural sydney to Launceston, had to get an on-forwarder to pick up and drop at sydney depot. $177 - $112 was the tasfreight charge and $65 on-forwarder charge.

K-T50 from Adelaide to Launceston. This was dropped at the depot by the seller so only Tasfreight charge of $114 depot to depot.

Brissy may be a little more expensive being further away, but reckon it'll still be under $130 depot to depot. :lol:

thanks gslrallysport, but the door is over 25kg so thats out of the question..?

No, Couriers please interstate is up to 40kg. Without being at work at looking at the spreadsheet, I'd say that the 25-40kg is an additional $20... If its different I'll let you know, and if its more than 40kg then Couriers Please can't help. But on stuff less than 40kg, and of reasonable size, they are by far the cheapest!