Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

rollaclub.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Which Engine Is Best Option?

Featured Replies

you might also want to befriend a mechanic who is handy with a welder ie: make your own engine mounts, do all the fitting yourself. the more work you don't have to palm off the more you will save for other goodies.

  • Replies 39
  • Views 11.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm EXACTLY in the same situation. I've thought about an SR20DE motor for my ke55 hardtop, and thus being a powerful engine and they are pretty common for parts upgrades. Mates told me to do a rotary but I'm not much of a fan of rotaries.

 

It's going to cost me around.. $1,500 - $2,000 for the engine and gearbox. Though I still have the wiring, fuel lines, brake upgrades and suspension and etc to do.

 

Personally I'd go with SR20DE. Though 4A-GE would be my second bet.

 

Good luck with it!

 

 

$1500-2000 seems a little expensive, that must be frontcut? I say go the motor/gearbox package

 

which should cost you under $1000, then spend the extra on an aftermarket computer, eg. haltec, wolf. approx $1400

 

Then your wiring troubles are solved also (as these are easy to wire up). And a tune can also be found quite cheap.

 

You have also then allowed room for futher upgrades. Eg turbo.

 

 

With a stock sr20de in my ke30 it ran an easy 14.9 at the drags, thats with a bit of wheel spin.

 

It also pulled out 110 hp at the wheels on the dyno.

 

The only changes from stock were aftermarket computer and 2" exhaust, (stock manifold)

$1500-2000 seems a little expensive, that must be frontcut? I say go the motor/gearbox package

 

which should cost you under $1000, then spend the extra on an aftermarket computer, eg. haltec, wolf. approx $1400

 

Then your wiring troubles are solved also (as these are easy to wire up). And a tune can also be found quite cheap.

 

You have also then allowed room for futher upgrades. Eg turbo.

 

 

With a stock sr20de in my ke30 it ran an easy 14.9 at the drags, thats with a bit of wheel spin.

 

It also pulled out 110 hp at the wheels on the dyno.

 

The only changes from stock were aftermarket computer and 2" exhaust, (stock manifold)

 

This Jap Wreckers bloke said this to me:

 

"SR20DE VVTI S14 ENGINE IN STOCK WITH WIRING LOOM COMPUTER AIR FLOW METER. IT IS A VERY CLEAN ENGINE INSIDE AND OUT"

 

Those were his words. As well asking me if I wanted him to compression test on it for me.

 

 

Do you think it's worth it? He offers $1100 for the engine and $550 for the 5 speed gearbox and "Plus freight"

 

 

I was going to give a few other places a ring first though. Only thing that is going to suck for me is that I can't legally drive her on the road if I do this conversion.. so ahhh >.< I'd be waiting.. 4-5 years! before I even get to drive my beast legally! So I was thinking of a 5k for the time being. But I have no idea anymore =( All I know is that I want my SR20DE in it, and me driving it legally at my age now :/

why not buy that stomper 5K that's in the forsale section for $1500, it'll drop in and you'll have no bother from the boy s in blue?

 

Cheers

Jordan

Edited by Jordan

why not buy that stomper 5K that's in the forsale section for $1500, it'll drop in and you'll have no bother from the boy s in blue?

 

Cheers

Jordan

 

Best suggestion in this thread so far

or, if you really want an SR so badly, just buy a silvia :jamie:

 

once you're allowed to modify your corolla, swap the drivetrain across. that way, all the money you spend on the silvia's performance won't have been a waste, and you'll know how badly the engine has been treated for the last years of its life...

Edited by dfunkt

theres a couple of hot 5ks going in the forsale area that i carnt beleave are still around

This might sound pretty dumb. Though I'm pretty sure you can get a bigger K block? or something? Would that still be legal if I put it in my KE55?

K Engine Info

 

winke55....that should help your knowledge base

 

oh, and yes, there are bigger K blocks :jamie:

  • Author

i would love that 5k but the problem is how fast is it gonna sell? i only jus startin workin next week i rekon, earnin bout $900 a week. it would be sold pretty soon i rekon, that would be an easy installment which is awesome 4 me. :jamie:

Edited by Palmy

if you can put a deposit down on it, they might be inclined to hold it until you can pay it.

  • Author

decided i might start small and then eventually go bigger, seriously considerin buyin a worked 4k with Ke70 5speed, should be easy 4 a first conversion which is good. thanks 4 all ur opinions and help

I really don't think it is worth buying a worked a 4k for a ke55,

i could understand a ke2x or 1x, because of their weight,

i don't think it would be worth it in a ke55, it would run worse,

and you would still be pushing shit uphill with a stick.

 

Maybe bide your time until what you want is allowed, or go the 5k.

Or turn the car to project status (providing you have a few skills), and but another runabout?

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.