Which Engine Is Best Option?

Palmy

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm EXACTLY in the same situation. I've thought about an SR20DE motor for my ke55 hardtop, and thus being a powerful engine and they are pretty common for parts upgrades. Mates told me to do a rotary but I'm not much of a fan of rotaries.

It's going to cost me around.. $1,500 - $2,000 for the engine and gearbox. Though I still have the wiring, fuel lines, brake upgrades and suspension and etc to do.

Personally I'd go with SR20DE. Though 4A-GE would be my second bet.

Good luck with it!

$1500-2000 seems a little expensive, that must be frontcut? I say go the motor/gearbox package

which should cost you under $1000, then spend the extra on an aftermarket computer, eg. haltec, wolf. approx $1400

Then your wiring troubles are solved also (as these are easy to wire up). And a tune can also be found quite cheap.

You have also then allowed room for futher upgrades. Eg turbo.

With a stock sr20de in my ke30 it ran an easy 14.9 at the drags, thats with a bit of wheel spin.

It also pulled out 110 hp at the wheels on the dyno.

The only changes from stock were aftermarket computer and 2" exhaust, (stock manifold)

$1500-2000 seems a little expensive, that must be frontcut? I say go the motor/gearbox package

which should cost you under $1000, then spend the extra on an aftermarket computer, eg. haltec, wolf. approx $1400

Then your wiring troubles are solved also (as these are easy to wire up). And a tune can also be found quite cheap.

You have also then allowed room for futher upgrades. Eg turbo.

With a stock sr20de in my ke30 it ran an easy 14.9 at the drags, thats with a bit of wheel spin.

It also pulled out 110 hp at the wheels on the dyno.

The only changes from stock were aftermarket computer and 2" exhaust, (stock manifold)

This Jap Wreckers bloke said this to me:

"SR20DE VVTI S14 ENGINE IN STOCK WITH WIRING LOOM COMPUTER AIR FLOW METER. IT IS A VERY CLEAN ENGINE INSIDE AND OUT"

Those were his words. As well asking me if I wanted him to compression test on it for me.

Do you think it's worth it? He offers $1100 for the engine and $550 for the 5 speed gearbox and "Plus freight"

I was going to give a few other places a ring first though. Only thing that is going to suck for me is that I can't legally drive her on the road if I do this conversion.. so ahhh >.< I'd be waiting.. 4-5 years! before I even get to drive my beast legally! So I was thinking of a 5k for the time being. But I have no idea anymore =( All I know is that I want my SR20DE in it, and me driving it legally at my age now :/

or, if you really want an SR so badly, just buy a silvia :jamie:

once you're allowed to modify your corolla, swap the drivetrain across. that way, all the money you spend on the silvia's performance won't have been a waste, and you'll know how badly the engine has been treated for the last years of its life...

Edited by dfunkt

i would love that 5k but the problem is how fast is it gonna sell? i only jus startin workin next week i rekon, earnin bout $900 a week. it would be sold pretty soon i rekon, that would be an easy installment which is awesome 4 me. :jamie:

Edited by Palmy

I really don't think it is worth buying a worked a 4k for a ke55,

i could understand a ke2x or 1x, because of their weight,

i don't think it would be worth it in a ke55, it would run worse,

and you would still be pushing shit uphill with a stick.

Maybe bide your time until what you want is allowed, or go the 5k.

Or turn the car to project status (providing you have a few skills), and but another runabout?