Extractor And Twin 40 Info Needed

philbey

Hi there folks,

Took possesion of my new set of twin sidedraft Dellortos yestersday and I'm pretty excited about bolting them up to my project motor. I just need to go shopping for some extractors now, and I wanted to clarify some issues (I've been digging but its still a tad vague):

1) Extractors and Twin Sidedraft manifold clashes: Apparently the manifolds clash and will require machining off the 3cyl runner? Is this common to all extractor brands or just certain ones? Does anyone have any pics they could circle bits etc so I can get a better idea?

2) KE1x Extractors different from other cars: From what I can tell, KE1x extractors are different from later KE ones, can anyone explain why?

3) Off the shelf extractors: Does anyone know who makes off the shelf headers to suit K motors that will bolt straight into a KE10? Perry (HM Headers) list one on their site for the K motors, but do they fit KE1x's.

Camerondownunder and Felix, you guys sem to know a bit about these items (El Clicko)

I will take pics as I build this up, and writeup something comprehensive for the FAQ.

Cheers in advance

TP.

Members dont see this ad

1) There is a slight thickness difference between the two. I had to get the head side of the intake manifold shaved down a few mm to make it the same as the extractors. Otherwise the extractors tighten up, and the intake just hangs in limbo.

The locating holes in the intake manifold were slightly off. Was just a case of drilling larger holes to allow alignment.

2) Apparently the fire walls are different. Location, Slope, Height....I don't know exactly. But the pipe ends up heading where its not supposed to go.

3) Not sure about specifically for KE1*. But my KE30 ones are 'Pacemaker'. I remember hearing that 'Genie' stopped making them years ago.

You could always get later model ones and have the pipe cut off or even re-bent into the shape you require to clear the firewall.

Edited by kangaroosa

Hi,

Don't have time to fully answer this now But ill post pictures for you. But my extractors needed runner 4 to be modded to fit side drafts on and the bends are different. But KE30 ones modded will fit Felix did this. So pending brand of extractors one runner might need to be touched up to get your 40's to fit.

Will post more later.

Cameron

extractors - can't speak for 1x and 7x, but can contribute to ke2x and 3/5x info:

ke2x exhaust hugs the transmission and runs between the gearbox cross-member, gearbox and floor.

ke3/5x exhaust hangs a little further out from the engine and goes around the gearbox cross-member under the left-hand side of the car - the ke2x gearbox cross-member is much wider then the ke3/5x item.

so - ke3/5x extractors don't fit a ke2x because:

They hang too far to the left and hit the steering idler in RHD car (probably worse in a LHD).

They want to run straight through the gearbox cross-member under the left-hand seat.

To make them fit, I had them heated and bent to avoid the steering idler and a U section welded into the gearbox cross-member.

Slapper

extractors - can't speak for 1x and 7x, but can contribute to ke2x and 3/5x info:

ke2x exhaust hugs the transmission and runs between the gearbox cross-member, gearbox and floor.

ke3/5x exhaust hangs a little further out from the engine and goes around the gearbox cross-member under the left-hand side of the car - the ke2x gearbox cross-member is much wider then the ke3/5x item.

so - ke3/5x extractors don't fit a ke2x because:

They hang too far to the left and hit the steering idler in RHD car (probably worse in a LHD).

They want to run straight through the gearbox cross-member under the left-hand seat.

To make them fit, I had them heated and bent to avoid the steering idler and a U section welded into the gearbox cross-member.

Slapper

like slapper ^^^ i can only give info on ke2x and 3x/5x

i pickup up a ke35 running a 5k and extractors with 2" exhaust.

i put the 5k and extractors into my ke20 recently, and while the exhaust had no chance of fitting the ke20's floor pan, the extractors do fit.

i've recently had an exhaust made to fit the ke20's pan.

the extractors were shortened a little bit because the outlet was angled toward the passenger side.

they were cut before the bend, so now they finish in a straight line.

dF

Extractors for a ke1x.... Unless they were specifically designed for the car, it is a case of suck it and see. :P Even if they were designed for the car you can still have issues, as there is not much room for the exhaust to clear between the firewall/floorpan and steering components.

I have 4-1 pacemakers which I bought from a wreckers. They were hanging on a wall and had a ke30 tag on them. I have used them through a progression of motors over 7-8 years.

To make them fit, I had to cut the pipe just after the collector and have it rerouted to fit the floorpan of my ke15 which had a K (1077cc) motor in it at the time. Initially I had problems with one of the extractor pipes hitting the steering stop, so had to shim under the passenger side engine mount to raise the motor to stop contact. A bit later I fitted a slightly worked bigport 3k, and found it fitted perfectly without any shims as the motor was taller. Next I fitted a nice worked dished 4k, and had clearance problems with the extractors rubbing against the floorpan as the motor was taller again, which I resolved by fitting a modified engine mount on the manifold side to lower the motor slightly. 3 years or so ago I fitted a grunter 5k with no hassles, as its deck height was the same as the 4k it replaced.

So you see, there are a few variables. You have the extractor design, plus you may need to modify the dump pipe after the collector. Then you need to take into account variances in the deck height of whatever motor you are using.

Sorry, there is no definite answer. :P

Then you have to decide how to route the exhaust as the gearbox mount is in the way. On my ke15, I went under it. On my ke16 (which was already done when I got it), the exhaust runs over the gbox mount which has had the shit beaten out of it for more clearance, but still rubs.

Whatever you do, make sure you get a 3 bolt flange welded in. Makes life sooo much easier come engine change time, if you can easily remove the extractors from the car.

Edited by Felix

thats why i love this site.

killer info folks. Cheers for that.

Felix, was that you that mentioned in another post you had some Perry headers? These are pretty good price from what i see on their website. How do you rate them? And how nice do they fit?

Any other likely issues with the headers+twin DHLAs issue?

I scored a second car the other day as well, I will use that as a mockup car before I drop it all in.

Felix, was that you that mentioned in another post you had some Perry headers? These are pretty good price from what i see on their website. How do you rate them? And how nice do they fit?

Actually I worked out that the extractors in my ke16 are not Perry's. Not sure what they are as the metal brand tag has fallen off at some stage. They are a small tube 4-1 design, and fit the car a lot easier than pacemakers. I can't quite remember what the previous owner said they were... Hurricane comes to mind, but I'm not 100% sure.

Looking through some pics on my computer I found some of my spare extractors which are earmarked for a ke10 I have stored at the mother-in-laws. They are 4-2-1 Perry's, which came off a mates ke20 club car. They look like they would fit a ke1x easier than 4-1 extractors as they are less bulky around the collector. The pipe would need to be cut just after the collector and rerouted to suit the ke1x. Pic attached compared to pacemakers.

I can't comment on fitment of twin sidedrafts with extractors. I run a downdraft 28/36 DCD weber, which is by far the best allround performance/economy solution for a street K motor. Just as tunable as sidies having changable venturis, but with even better flexibility, drivability (once warm) and economy than a stock carb.

post-166-1199754315_thumb.jpg

post-166-1199754329_thumb.jpg

Sorry philbey, I'm going to hang onto them.

I posted pics of them as I thought they were similar to the ones you were talking about from Perry, but it appears they are not after looking at their website. The ones on the HM header/Perry website look more like the 4-1's that I have on my ke16.

snot35, if you can find a decent carb shop, you shouldn't have too many problems finding jets for tuning. The only hard parts to find really are the venturis, though you can get them on ebay if you look and don't mind bringing them from overseas. I am running the factory settings for a Mk1 1500 GT cortina on my warm 5k atm. You can find the base jetting here. On a 4k ideally you want to run smaller venturis and jet to suit, as every combo is different. If I can find my little book I'll get you the jetting I used on my old 4k.

Edited by Felix