Ke70 Rally Car Project

Gribble

Hey all. Gribble here from Sydney.

Just thought id share some info on my little Rally Project I'm currently building. Its going to be a fairly straight forward KE70, 4k, 5 speed, totally stripped interior, bilstein shocks, adm ae86 brakes, cage, seats, harnesses etc etc. Nice and simple for a starter.

So far ive gotten the shell totally stripped down, I have removed the sound deadening from the interior and 90% of the crap tar stuff from underneath. Ive begun to stitch the chassis seams together to gain some torsional rigidity. Next step is to do the seat mountings and the cage.

PICS!

Ok ive finally uploaded some pics of the build. Here goes.....

This is how it began, an ugly matte black abortion.

00181.jpg

Starting the strip down.

PA2400022.jpg

Unaborted the matte black exterior down to bare metal and shot coated to prevent rust. Also note the lack of sound deadener on the floor! Dry Ice FTW!

00018.jpg

Alot of time has passed between this photo and the last one. I built a rotissire to enable me to weld the seams and chassis rails stiffer to increase the torsional rigidity of the chassis and allow the suspension to do what its supposed to do properly. Also the rollcage installation has begun and the lowered seat mounts for the race seats.

25032008012.jpg

And how it currently sits in the workshop. Waiting on the suspension to arrive. WHitelines front and rear, kings front and rear, full noltec bush kit including adjustable camber/castor tops. Oh and Bilstein shocks for all 4 corners. YIPPEE!!!

25032008018.jpg

So thats it so far. Its slooooowly nearing completion but there is still alot of work left to do.

Thanks!

-Gribble-

Edited by Gribble

• 1 month later...
Members dont see this ad

Tonights update, installed the X in the main hoop, took a while with trying to get the fishmouths right but the resule is excelent! Also chucked the seat in to measure up where the harness bar will go, then run out of time..... always tomorrow though.

26032008021.jpg

ENJOY! :D

Dear Diary;

Tonight I got the navi's seat mounts completed, the side intrusion bars of the cage fabbed and welded in, also gutted the rear doors of at least 3/4 of their origional weight, plus the perspex I'm going to add to it.

Pics!

Shot of both seats mounted in plus the side intrusion bars.

01042008046.jpg

Slightly blurry photo of the gutted rear door, side intrusion of the door has been cut out as well as the inner skin, weight is obviously also lost by lack of window reg and the window itself! These items will be for sale soon once I get the pile of random crap sorted out, so don't PM me just yet.

01042008045.jpg

This is just a random shot of the workshop from the mezinine floor. Just thought the car looked really good from this angle.

01042008051.jpg

More updates soon!

Thanks all. :nervous:

Ok, today we got the doors finished off, all the heavy as side intrusion rails are gone from the door, painted white, got the aluminuim trims cut. Painted the interior white until we ran out of paint. Looking good though!

06042008058.jpg

Photo of the boot panels made from 1mm aluminium.

06042008061.jpg

Still waiting for the suspension.........

Gribble,

Edited by Gribble

You can't rally a car with perspex windows. :dance:

If you are seriously thinking of rallying this thing, you need to read this: http://www.camsmanual.com.au/road.asp really quickly.

The bits you need to read are schedule R and group 3C prc.

If I can help you at all, I've built the odd rally car and am in the middle of it again.

You can't rally a car with perspex windows. :dance:

If you are seriously thinking of rallying this thing, you need to read this: http://www.camsmanual.com.au/road.asp really quickly.

The bits you need to read are schedule R and group 3C prc.

If I can help you at all, I've built the odd rally car and am in the middle of it again.

Its not going to be run in CAMS events, its going to be raced in AMSAG. I would also need to install 4 extra bars in the cage, keep the interior flooring, not be able to stitch/reinforce the chassis, not be able to run a 4a-ge in the future, have to buy FIA approved seats and harnesses, latest model race suits..................

You get the idea.

Ive read the Cams manual over and over and decided that AMSAG is just so more user freindly if you have a small budget to play with like me.

Edited by Gribble

Its not going to be run in CAMS events, its going to be raced in AMSAG. I would also need to install 4 extra bars in the cage, keep the interior flooring, not be able to stitch/reinforce the chassis, not be able to run a 4a-ge in the future, have to buy FIA approved seats and harnesses, latest model race suits..................

You get the idea.

Ive read the Cams manual over and over and decided that AMSAG is just so more user freindly if you have a small budget to play with like me.

Glad I read this thread right through.. was going to say I think gutting the doors is illegal too for CAMS cars... Is AMSAG run what ever you like is it?

Glad I read this thread right through.. was going to say I think gutting the doors is illegal too for CAMS cars... Is AMSAG run what ever you like is it?

Yes gutting the doors is also against PRC regs.

AMSAG Is not 100% run-what-u-brung, your not allowed to install an engine from another manufacture, it has to have the same amount of cylenders as the factory motor and it can't be forced induction, which sucks because a twin turbo 1uz-fe was looking pretty good.

:dance:

Yeh...... so a 4a-ge or even a 7a-fe if I'm feeling like it will probably be swapped in the future, was thinking of a 4e-fe for something different but at the moment its in the not worth the effort basket. Plus i love 4a's, owned a 20v ae82 as a p plater way back when and it rocked.

www.amsag.com.au

Have a squiz........ it seems like a whole bunch of old guys living for the heyday of rallying but its not. :hmm:

Nice build up so far :dance:

In regards to doors I think your allowed to cut out with intrusion bars, if you are welding in CAM's approved side intrusion bars, however you will still need door trims. With Fishers corolla at the moment, we are planning on cutting the intrusion bars on the inside of the doors of, windows winders uninstalled, and using corflute for door trims. Similar to this car we are also using persplex for the windows, besides the front one. However as Redwarf has stated in Rally you cannot use persplex at all and alot more of the interior has to be kept.

You get the idea.

Not completely true.

Carpet/ deadener is out of mine. Chassis' can be seem welded. You don't need FIA seats and harnesses for anything below interntional events. You don't require racesuits for clubman events. True, you can't 4 ag it.

As far as roll cage. More is better. I've taken out the odd tree in my time, and I'm here to tell you the cage can never be to big. I've just hired a midget with a MiG, and when we can just squeeze him out, we're going to stop putting bars in. Trust me, put the extra bars in. I don't care what they weigh, and that you're trying to keep it light, put them in. Now is the time to do it. Please don't do the minimum job. Don't screw with your safety. Mine has the double cross in the rear bars, plus a bar speading the rears as well, harness bar, double side intrusions, roof bar, Sainz bars (hopefully, jury still out on whether we can put them in and still get in and out of the car), plus bars through to the front tower. Yes it's heavy,but when time comes to test it out, you'll be thankful!

By purely running AMSAG/ AASA you are REALLY limiting the events you can compete in.

Still, gotta start somewhere. :dance:

Edited by Redwarf

• 1 month later...

Been some time since my last confession..

Got all the front and rear suspension in, engine and box in, new clutch, Started to wire the body up by completely dismantling the entire loom and starting again to suit the location of battery, fuse panel, relays etc.... Its easier than it sounds, trust me.

Little things include making a few brackets for various things, gluing felt to the dash for a really poverty WRC dash look, modiying the handbrake lever so there is no button, fitting battery box, spending too much money. blah blah blah....

Ill get some pics up soon.........

Thanks!

Edited by Gribble

• 2 months later...

Just a few update pics, mostly back together, working 6 days a week really gives you no time to build. Its taken me 6 weeks just to make a custom loom for it.... :S

Anyway, this is where it sits with most of the weight back in it, except the battery, tank and spare tyre,

29072008248.jpg

29072008245.jpg

Ill keep going along.....