Is It Legal To Remove My Rear Seats?

ae71wagonater

Hey guys. I am keen to take the rear seats out of my wagon. I have toyota Tercel seats in the front at the moment, (by the way they are a cheap easy to install replacement seat with a metal bottom |blink| ) I cannot fold my wagon rear seats down because of the front seats. I'm just wondering if it is legal to pull them out or weather i have to register it as 2 passengers or something. Cheers

Members dont see this ad

in vic, if you remove the rear seats, you need to get it registered as a two seater.

i'm sure you could just pull them out and say you use the car for haulage often, and removal was a better option. that might at least get you thru the first encounter with the police.

Aaaah bureaucracy...

Yeah technically you are changing the seating capacity as stated on your compliance plate, so will need a blue mod plate in QLD.

I am 90% sure you will need to get it blue plated.

On the Compliance Plate that is on your vehicle it will state how many seats this vehicle is suppose to have. If you alter how many seats you have, you need to get it blue plated.

Or I suppose.. don't get caught. Hehe.

Although I'm fully aware of the illegality, and have no problem waving my index finger accusedly at those who bend the rules, I DID remove the rear seats in my old 70 and proceed to circumnavigate the continent in it, got pulled over a zillion times and not a word from Mr. Plod.

No room for mattress with rear seats.... I actually made a hinged false floor. Very useful for storing water, tools, a pickaxe and some german backpackers

And yeah, I was fulleh drifting... one biiiiiiiiiig left hand sweeper the whole way around

Edited by 7shades

No room for mattress with rear seats.... I actually made a hinged false floor. Very useful for storing water, tools, a pickaxe and some german backpackers

And yeah, I was fulleh drifting... one biiiiiiiiiig left hand sweeper the whole way around

SIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICK MATE ! |blink|

(you guys crack me up) ;)

In fact, I was actually the first white man in history to drift a metallic babyshit brown KE70 wagon across the QLD/NT border, AND hold it, right through the NT, to the WA border.

The local aboriginal tribes now regard me as a spirit god... 'Brown Hornet' they called me, and there are now several hundred cave paintings and rock carvings depicting my exploits across the top end of Australia.